• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
Hey, gang,
so I'm loving life using up air (and gas) in the -28 every chance I get. We're having a nagging issue with the nose gear strut. It's not losing fluid from anywhere, but after a few days it's going flat on us. So it's losing nitrogen from somewhere and we can't seem to find out where. We replaced the Schrader valve, tried the Granville (just to cover the bases).

I can't seem to imagine that an internal seal wouldn't still result in the loss of 5606 at least somewhere. It's a dry as a bone. So we are nearly convinced that it has to be leaking somewhere above the fluid. No bubbles from around the Schrader with the soapy water test, but again it's a very slow leak.

We have been unable to find an exploded view of the strut assembly, so it's hard to plan a repair to save us from perhaps unnecessarily removing the whole thing and rebuilding it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Do you know for a fact that there is fluid in the strut?

Perhaps there is only air/nitrogen in the strut and no fluid what so ever. I ran into this one time on a newly purchased aircraft. The previous owner only put in air after the fluid leaked out.
If only air, not nitrogen is used, the strut will go down if there is a change in temperature, typical for this time of year in the south.

Was the whole Schrader valve replaced, or only the valve core? The valve core on a strut needs to have an "H" stamped on the head to indicate that its a high pressure core, and not one used on wheels/inner tubes.

Try contacting Victoria Air Maintenance at Victoria International Airport (BC Canada) at [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](250) 656-7600 - ask for Colin. Sharp, decent guys who will help, not $$$ chasers. Multiple golden and silver wrench OSH winners and T28 experts FWIW.
[/FONT]

Make sure you have the correct schrader valve. Same thing happened on mine, went flat after 4-5 days. I forget the whole deal, but an incorrect one was installed, lower pressure limits, if I recall correctly. Changeout to the right one fixed the problem. Found there was the incorrect part number on it.

Hung

So I've been getting all revved up to get this problem solved (and I thank every one of you for the insights so far) and now the thing is holding fine. With no changes made. I hate it when that happens.............but also love it when that happens (sorta).

I'll keep you all posted.

Latest resources

Back