• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MV22 Flight Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure. Log your T/Os and Landings as helicopter time. The rest as Turbo-prop.

Anyone know if MV22 time plus ATP ME is viable with the majors?

I'd think they'd consider you just being still alive to be quite an accomplishment.

Sure. Log your T/Os and Landings as helicopter time. The rest as Turbo-prop.

That would be a negative! It is all Powered Lift. Your question is valid, as I only know of one that went from MV-22 to DAL. That was prior to 9/11 and he then spent a few years on furlough. Also had plenty of other time. If you have to fill in a block on an application and PL is not there, I'd put it in the column that will get you the interview and explain it there. The MV-22 is far from a steam guage helo that for some reason has little respect at the majors.

That would be a negative! It is all Powered Lift. Your question is valid, as I only know of one that went from MV-22 to DAL. That was prior to 9/11 and he then spent a few years on furlough. Also had plenty of other time. If you have to fill in a block on an application and PL is not there, I'd put it in the column that will get you the interview and explain it there. The MV-22 is far from a steam guage helo that for some reason has little respect at the majors.

Interesting because their flight manual states it is in helo mode with the wing above 60 deg tilt and aircraft mode after that - are we sure it is powered lift? FAA wise I mean? Not that Id ever fly that thing but I work with folks who do.

I'd think they'd consider you just being still alive to be quite an accomplishment.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Kinda like those dudes that flew the AV-8A. Thought you had to eject to make Major.

Interesting because their flight manual states it is in helo mode with the wing above 60 deg tilt and aircraft mode after that - are we sure it is powered lift? FAA wise I mean? Not that Id ever fly that thing but I work with folks who do.

I'm pretty sure the FAA 'powered lift' category was established just for the Bell tilt rotor family of air vehicles.

The only other powered lift vehicle around is the Moller Skycar. As far as I know that's never flown off of a tether, and I don't know that tethered time is legal to log.

I'm pretty certain that every tilt-rotor pilot is a pretty darn good stick. Those airplanes are too complex and too expensive for an operator to trust to any but the very best available pilots.

Who knows what a madcap airline interview panel might do, but as a passenger I'd feel pretty good if my airline pilot came out of powered lift.

To be considered Powered Lift, you would need a civilian equivalent to the MV-22. The -609 is not the same aircraft. I flew Harriers and don't have a powered lift rating. FISDO said cause there is no equivalent civilian aircraft. As for counting your flight time. I have no doubt they will.

I'm pretty certain that every tilt-rotor pilot is a pretty darn good stick. Those airplanes are too complex and too expensive for an operator to trust to any but the very best available pilots.

Who knows what a madcap airline interview panel might do, but as a passenger I'd feel pretty good if my airline pilot came out of powered lift.
Agreed.

If you're flying an MV-22 you've got my respect and envy.
As far as how the airlines might look at it, the problems helo drivers have sometimes had in an airline environment/training program have often been in the instrument arena. The Osprey I would imagine flies like a fixed wing in the instrument environment and probably goes at turboprop speeds so that's addressed. Regarding landings I flare the 767 just a little lower than I started to flare a Huey in an autorotation and it works out just fine.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back