Mustang Type Rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stratman560

So I have a quick question for those of you in the know. Is it possible for someone to achieve a type rating in the C510 without going to Flight Safety? I had heard somewhere someone talking like they were going to do in-house training with a typed Mustang Pilot and then go to the ICT FSDO to take a checkride with a Fed for the rating.... I'm scratching my head on this one guys. I may not have all the facts squared away, but is there anyway for someone to bypass FSI for the type? I'm not considering this or suggesting its a good idea, far from it, just asking if anyone knows anyone else who is trying to do this?

I did a type with a Fed like you are asking about around 8 years ago. It took 7 months just to get a date for the ride. The oral was insane as the guy just wanted to show off his knowledge. Not a highly reccommended route to go. In this day and age you may get the type from the Fed but no insurance company will insure you without going to an approved school. So if you are into collecting types with no time--go for it. If you are buying your own mustang--the type is usually included. If you are hooking for a job-if your prospective employer is too cheap to send you to FSI then he should sell the plane and take the bus. Your training is the least expensive and most valuable line item to him/her.

I did a type with a Fed like you are asking about around 8 years ago. It took 7 months just to get a date for the ride. The oral was insane as the guy just wanted to show off his knowledge. Not a highly reccommended route to go. In this day and age you may get the type from the Fed but no insurance company will insure you without going to an approved school. So if you are into collecting types with no time--go for it. If you are buying your own mustang--the type is usually included. If you are hooking for a job-if your prospective employer is too cheap to send you to FSI then he should sell the plane and take the bus. Your training is the least expensive and most valuable line item to him/her.

Thanks. I understand all of that and I'm not collecting types. My main question was just if it was even possible to obtain the type without going to FSI. It would seem to me that FSI would have some sort of exclusivity in place so that if Pilot X wanted to go get a type in the Mustang, FSI would be his only option. I know theoretically, you should be able to go to the Feds to get the type, my question is, will they even do it?

Yes. You take a checkride with either a DPE qualified to give rides in the Mustang, or you go up with the Feds to get a checkride. If your local FSDO doesn't have time, perhaps a nearby FSDO does. The ride is to the PTS for the ATP & Type Rating.

The FAA Inspector that was my examiner for a type ride was most thorough, and most fair. I hold that Inspector in the highest regard. Other Inspectors, well, we won't go there. So, it is still possible to find decent folks in the FAA.

Thanks. I understand all of that and I'm not collecting types. My main question was just if it was even possible to obtain the type without going to FSI. It would seem to me that FSI would have some sort of exclusivity in place so that if Pilot X wanted to go get a type in the Mustang, FSI would be his only option. I know theoretically, you should be able to go to the Feds to get the type, my question is, will they even do it?

Good Luck,
Let us know how it goes...

They would theoretically do it, IF you could find a Fed that is qualified on the airplane, which is highly unlikely. There are barely enough instructors and TREs to do the training and give the checks at the 142 training centers.

This is like asking: "Can I give myself an appendectomy?" The answer is, technically, yes. Would you want to?

Yes you can , but as someone said , the FAA and DPE'S have insane checkrides, and monster flight to check you out, and since the dont fly that much they take it as an excuse to fly and fly and fly, my experience is that the oral go for hrs and they ask a lot of SOP questions and really rediculous questions of systems and crap that really dont make sense... but you can do a type ride with someone other that FSI!!!

Latest resources

Back