• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Must Read Aviation Books

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One of Cardinal's recommendations was First Light, By Geoffrey Wellum, and I second that one, big time. Wellum is awesome, with a great sense of humor.

A few others I'd like to add are Wing Leader by Johnnie Johnson, Messershmitts Over Sicily by Johannes Steinhoff, My Logbook by Gunther Rall, SkyGods by Robert Gandt, and anything by Len Morgan.

your contract

Seconded!

Flying the Line, Volume 2 is, in my opinion, the most topical and pertinent book for people new to the 121 industry. It is a must read for people to have an understanding of exactly what a union does and does not have the power to do...as well as how the issues of the past foreshadowed the issues of today. I really hope George Hopkins writes Vol. 3 soon...

Hard Landing is great as well, and gives folks an understanding of the business and personal side of the airlines. I especially like the contrast between Bob Crandall and Herb Kelleher.

Chickenhawk

Your SOP. I flew with an FO recently, he said that he liked flying with guys with more than 5 years with the company so he can draw from their experience. After dealing with a problem, he asked how I knew how to do that. I showed him in the SOP where it was. He later mentioned that he had never read all the way through the SOP. He's been here for a year. From then on out I had him look stuff up. I'm happy to answer questions, but you shouldn't expect your captain to be the ultimate source of all truth. Read you SOP!

Latest resources

Back