• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Must Read Aviation Books

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
North Star over my Shoulder. Author's name was Buck, a retired TWA pilot. Went from DC-2's to 747's.
"Masters of the Air", most complete story of the 8th Air Force every told in one book

Fate is the Hunter was just an awesome book, but my all time favorite is Ploesti by James Dugan and Carroll Stewart.

"Wind, Sand, Stars" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
National Geographic Adventure named it #3 best adventure book after "Worst Journey in the World" about the Scott Polar expedition and "Journals" from the Lewis and Clark Expeditions
Here is their review.
3. Wind, Sand & Stars, by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1940) Saint-Exupéry was without question the great pilot-poet of the air. And this remarkable classic attains its high ranking here by soaring both as a piece of writing and as a tale of adventure. It was Saint-Exupéry's job in the 1920s to fly the mail from France to Spain across the Pyrenees, in all kinds of weather, with bad maps and no radio. The engine on his plane would sometimes quit, he says, "with a great rattle like the crash of crockery. And one would simply throw in one's hand: there was no hope of refuge on the rocky crust of Spain." Nor in North Africa. He came down once in the Libyan Desert, and there was no water. He and his companion tramped this way and that and found no hope. "Nothing is unbearable," he tells us after a while. "Tomorrow, and the day after, I should learn that nothing was really unbearable." He is calm about it, thoughtful, disinterested, yet at the same time intense, riveting. He takes us to places between impossible hope and endless despair we did not know existed.
Harcourt Brace, 1992.

Latest resources

Back