Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cornelius

Where's Pancakes House
Does anybody know if someone can still hold a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd class medical with Multiple Sclerosis. Someone close to me was just diagnosed and she may not be able to fly again.

Does anybody know if someone can still hold a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd class medical with Multiple Sclerosis. Someone close to me was just diagnosed and she may not be able to fly again.

I'm very sorry to hear that... A close family member recently had a scare, and we're still waiting to hear the results. He wants to pursue aviation, so we're all trying to figure this out too. Here's an interesting article I found:

http://www.aopa.org/membership/articles/2008/080313ms.html

Good article. My close friend has been a captain for 7 years so she may not be able to hold a 1st or 2nd class from what I have been researching. I wonder if she could be a Simulator Instructor or something??

Good article. My close friend has been a captain for 7 years so she may not be able to hold a 1st or 2nd class from what I have been researching. I wonder if she could be a Simulator Instructor or something??

Please keep us posted. MS treatments have really come a long way the past few years...

A medical of any class can be obtained on a "Special Issuance" basis through an AME. MS is not always a grounding issue but it may take a few months to get the paperwork put together.

Good Luck!

I lost my medical due to a heart problem and therefore also lost my airline job. Tried getting a special issuance and have been turned down 2 times for a 3rd class so don't count on a special issuance. Try the website left seat. They deal with medical certification and can maybe tell you if you have a chance of getting a medical.
I did instruct in the sim. That is a good alternate route and is as close to flying as I will ever get again. Being a CA, having flying experience, and typed will likely make it a bit easier for you to get a sim job.

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back