Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

unreal

CFI job: Multi time

So, a very promising opportunity has presented itself within the last couple days at a flight school in the local area. They're looking for a good full-time CFI/CFII, and after doing a checkout with them, they're interested in me.

Now, the only thing about it is, if I get the job, they don't have a multiengine airplane. I'm sitting on 71 multi right now, so I'd have to find a way to knock out 29 more to get to the magic number of 100.

Any thoughts on how to do this, other than simply PAYING for it? I'm going in for an interview at ERAU in a couple weeks, but I'm tempted to just take a local job here instead of having to move back to AZ in August (when the next new-hire class is). But, is it worth the lack of multi time?

Last edited:
A lot depends on where the local flight school is and if it's a job that can lead to the next step or a dead end. I say that with all respect to the local school which may be great. Lots of great flight schools out there but many don't have the contacts of a large university to help you move along when you're ready. I'd pick whatever job which offers the most opportunity for personal growth. I wouldn't let only 30 hours of ME time sway your decision. Light twins are everywhere. Get to know the owners and offer to chip in for gas. Buy lunch for those who let you fly but refuse the money. Either way don't be a freeloader.

if you're an mei, why not charge? freelance and get 45+ an hour. think of all the studying you did to get that rating! seriously. at least ask them what they think your time is worth. i wouldn't ask a doctor for an appendectomy and then say, "ill buy you lunch."

Unreal,
If you will be doing multi instruction at Riddle its a hands down decision in my book!! On the other hand dont sell yourself short on Corporate Contract positions that may be available in the area you are considering taking this full time CFI position. Many corporate flight departments need part time contract guys to fill in on a part time basis. Sometimes they will overlook low time depending on your availibility.

dude I am in a similar position as you. Although I left my job at Riddle Prescott to go teach somewhere that I was getting flight time. I am sitting on 70some hours of multi time, but I am now flying between 80-120 hours a month, depending if its good or not. Worth the trade? for now it is hopefully I can get that extra multi time soon, perhaps doing free-lance this summer with my MEI... good luck

Gutenberg said:
if you're an mei, why not charge? freelance and get 45+ an hour. think of all the studying you did to get that rating! seriously. at least ask them what they think your time is worth. i wouldn't ask a doctor for an appendectomy and then say, "ill buy you lunch."

I don't really disagree with you on the subject. However, I think there's a significant difference between working as a flight instructor and flying along to build time with a qualified and current pilot/owner as a guest. If you're needed as an instructor then I do think you should be paid something. Unfortunately, you could waste all year getting those 30 hours we're talking about if you wait for a situation to present itself where you're needed as an instructor.

How much flight experience do you have now? Is your experience so extensive that you don't need to flight instruct and you can get hired elsewhere? Then hire on elsewhere. If you have the experience,then hire on with a freight operator that flies single and multi engine airplanes, or a canyon operator, and upgrade to the multis when opportunity exists.

There's nothing magic about a hundred hours of multi engine flight experience. I recall a friend that thought it was, bought a twin and broke himself flying it to get those magic few numbers. I could never afford to do it, so I hired on with a multi company with 15 hours total multi experience, and learned as I went.

If you need a job, and need the flight experience, and the instruction job offers you that, then go for it...but only you know if it's what you want.

If you're there to "build hours," then walk way, or better yet run, and save everyone being exposed to another doesn't-give-two-hoots-gotta-build-hours-and-then-cut-and-run instructor. If you're serious about instructing and see it as both an opportunity to work and an opprotunity to learn (and something that's going to be fun) then have at it. It's really all about you.

You can always hire on at a place that flies singles and then upgrade to the multi's as occasion permits. Go fly for Ameriflight, start out in the lance and then move to the navajo...the opportunities are there. Do you have the total hours to qualify for them yet?

mcjohn said:
The flight school where I work has a multi. It hasn't flown in weeks!
I'm shocked to hear that. You mean all those multi students haven't been knocking down the door to fly such a high quality a/c at such affordable rates???;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back