Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Multi-time sharing. . .any do's and don'ts?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
P-Dawg_QX said:
If you're looking for a cheap way to build your multi-engine time...
Yes, renting is great. It looks expensive up front, but you can find ways to offset the costs by splitting it with friends or doing legitimate part 91 trips.

P-Dawg_QX said:
I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has any tricks up their sleeve, that doesn't involve being a safety pilot.
No tricks needed. It's not that hard to find lawful things to do with a rented twin engine plane.

Lot's of guys and girls have to hold down a real "day" job while they are time building. One way, would be to offer your sevices to your employer. I built a ton of time volunteering to go on working field service trips for my employer. That meant that the flying was incidental to business.

They re-embursed me for the hours on the owned twin and paid the rental on any rental aircraft that I used for company purposes. Plus, I got paid! Since we were on company time, traveling for company purpose, I got my hourly wages while on the company clock.

Another way I built time, was to get my skydiving friends together and fly to skydiving boogies. We went to Florida, Iowa, Illinois, Beckley WV on many repeat trips. We split costs on rental twins and we split costs on owned twin. Since the pilot and passengers were all on the same "mission", this is a normal part 91 trip.

It may be hard to get employers or friends to go with you on trips, but it can be done...the best thing you can do is get checked out in that rental twin and invest some time getting proficient. Once you make the first trip and your friends and co-workers see how fun and safe this mode of travel can be, you might just find yourself making a few more trips down the road.

I had one daytime employer, that flat out refused to ride with me in the twin...and I don't blame him either, it's his decision. But it sure was funny to take him to the airport in the company van and drop him off...only to be wrenching on a machine back at the shop and see his sad face coming back into the shop after his flight got cancelled.

I think it really bugged him that I would be snickering under my breath as he walked back upstairs to office, knowing that a future customer had a choice of vendors and he wasn't there to plead his case. Hahaha...looks like the daughter is going to have to go off to college in the Miata instead of the Beemer, DUDE!

Last edited:
Renting. . .

Yeah. . .we're renting. My buddy mentioned we could both log PIC if one was a safety pilot, but I raised the caution flag and said I wasn't sure if that was possible. It could be fun. The details have yet to be arranged.

check6 said:
Yeah. . .we're renting. My buddy mentioned we could both log PIC if one was a safety pilot, but I raised the caution flag and said I wasn't sure if that was possible. It could be fun. The details have yet to be arranged.

Yes it's possible and legal, but as I said before, some airlines are not counting it anymore.

Ralgha said:
Yes it's possible and legal, but as I said before, some airlines are not counting it anymore.

I've never heard of regionals or 135's having a problem with it. Which in particular do? I only thought the majors require PIC to be by the pilot who signed for the aircraft but have heard nothing of regional/cargo/charters having a gripe with it.

Last edited:
"SHARING"

Sharing. . .what a wonderful thing. The only "sharing" that would be going on would be the cost of it, not the time. That would be dishonest.

Latest resources

Back