Multi-engine Assymetrical training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly_Chick

Anyone have any good information on assymetrical training on a multi-engine?

I want to introduce my students to this prior to teaching them engine out procedures. I want to work on the building blocks of differential power, and have the student identify aircraft control when one engine has reduced power.

Also - does anyone have advise on where to look to get information on METO - multi-engine takeoff power?

Thanks.

Fly_Chick said:
Anyone have any good information on assymetrical training on a multi-engine? I want to introduce my students to this prior to teaching them engine out procedures. I want to work on the building blocks of differential power, and have the student identify aircraft control when one engine has reduced power. Also - does anyone have advise on where to look to get information on METO - multi-engine takeoff power?
Huh?

'Sled

You mean maximum except takeoff power?

I should have been more clear on my original post.

I am working on my multi-engine instructor rating. I have been asked to show students the asymmetrical power first, before introducing engine outs. I have some information about identify-ing the low powered engine, dead foot, ball half-centered.

I was wondering if anyone had a script or a procedure which they follow which walks through a series of steps to have the student identify performance decreases when one engine is operating on less power than the other engine.

I have a script to simulate at 3300'agl one engine loses some power, then have the student turn a simulated crosswind for 45 seconds, downwind for 1 minute, base and final leg. I would have him/her identify altitude gains and losses, and identify which direction to turn crosswind (based on which engine is out).

Any other help, suggestions are appreciated.

Vnugget - yes, you are correct - maximum except takeoff power.

I have (unfortunately) only flown the seminole and seneca to date, and relize they do not have METO restriction. I am trying to get more information on this.

Fly C,

Went back to my old circa 1962 copy of P & W OI 100 thinking there's be a lot about METO power, but found nothing.

In "Modern Airmanship", 3rd edition, 1966, there was only one mention of METO: "...maximum power permitted for continous operation...". Not much to go on. This term is probably connected to the large radial engines. I flew the R2800 engine and certainly remember METO power, but no details.

Mar and Asquared flew the DC6 recently and could give you something useful. Wish I could be more help. I was surprised about not finding the info in the P & w manual. The turbojet version, P & W OI 200, is a classic and contains more info than you'd ever want to know.

Latest resources

Back