• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJones

Rico SWAFO
Re: Fuel system, tips tanks.

I'm trying to remember where the supply of bleed air pressure for the "tip tanks" originates...exactly where. Any help would be appreciated 'cuase I just can't remember.:(

RJ

Tip Tank Transfer Bleed Air

It comes from the A Line, which also supplies the Boots, the door seal, instrument vacuum and Outflow valve.

This may be a dumb question, but bear with me - why is bleed air needed for the tip tanks?

"A" Line

Thanks Bart, I just couldn't remember.

BigD...The tip tanks are pressurized to pump the fuel, so to speak, to the main tank, which feed the engines.

RJ

Ah - I see. Thanks RJones! Now is this something specific to the MU-2, or is it common on larger planes?

Most aircraft use either a boost pump or motive flow to get the fuel to the engines. Larger aircraft typically use a boost pump. I'm not sure about the drop tanks on military aircraft but I think they use bleed air pressure as well, maybe some of you military guys could pipe in on that.

RJ

First, hows it going Bart?

Second, bart's correct. Also, having them presurized and having fuel dump capibilitiys can sure save your arse one day. Also handy for unsuspecting lineguys that never fueled a Moo before. LOL

Not all Mu-2's have dump capability, in fact it's rare to see one with dumps...just a handfull of Mu-2's have them.

If you, the pilot, haven't properly briefed the line guy about the "sniffle valves" and releasing the pressure he/she is going to get a face full of jet fuel.:) It's funny to see, but look away when you laugh.

RJ

We still (I think) have a mu-2 fuel cap on top of our fbo from some one who popped the cap too fast. What a great moment in rocket history! (FSD)

MU-2 is great

328Dude,

Things are going great. I have about 170 hours in it and am regularly flying the 135 legs and havent scared anyone yet. Flown in all types of weather now, from snow to fog, icing to avoiding t-storms. Still would be nervous about single pilot in anything less than marginal VFR.

It is so much fun to fly because it is so difficult to master, especially landings, though x-wind takeoffs can be challenging sometimes too. I still make carrier landings 1 out of 4 times, but the Captain makes one now and then just to make me feel better...

One last thing, it is a hoot to get that familiar salute on ramps all across the eastern seaboard, you know, stand at attention, stare with a scowl with index fingers placed in each ear :)! Thanks for the advice, it was helpful. Also, flying out of BNA yesterday, heard Reece Howell on approach and said a quick hello.

BART

Latest resources

Back