• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MU-2, Pilot Perspective

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I loved flying the MU-2. If you you don't have ANR headsets get some or do the mod to add ANR to yours. Forget almost everything about flying those other turbo-props. They are very different aircraft than the MU-2. A lot of pilots have gotten into trouble because they had thousands of hours in those other turbo-props and primacy is hard to overcome.

Learn the MU-2 from the instuctor. Don't get slow. Practice slow flight with the instructor. Be ahead of the aircraft. Fly your approaches smoothly. This is not a good aircraft to hunt and peck on the approach with. It uses spoilers to turn with and these become less effective and sluggish as you slow down. Make sure the fuelers know how to fuel an MU-2 so you don't come out to find your plane on it's side. Keep the fuel ballanced in flight.

Once again, I loved flying it. The bad lore comes from people who never flew them. If you jump into the MU-2 and try to fly it like a King Air you will create more bad lore for the MU-2. Always be ready for an engine out at the worst time as you should when flying any twin. Here again, the spoilers aren't your friend but, airspeed and rudder are.

Enjoy

to the MU2 drivers:
how do you lose an engine at V1 (100kts), feather the prop, and accelerate to the blueline airspeed (151kts) without retracting the flaps or gear?? There appears to be a very large window where you are completely screwed in the event of engine failure.

As I recall blue line with flaps 20 was 120, this is why you never touched the flaps or gear if you lost a motor(Flaps LIFT , GEAR DRAG when raised, doors take 17 seconds to fully cycle). Like any airplane fly it first(in refernece to losing a motor on T/o) but you better neutralize the yoke quickley with the spoileron trim, also dont forget to turn off the bleed air(I believe it was 125 fpm detriment if left on) . The MU2 training at Reese's is excellent and the aircraft will fly on one motor after t/o if you fly it the way it was meant to be flown. The main reason for all of the early incidents was the lack of training and also pilots flying it as if it were a piston twin(MIX<PROPS<THROT<GEAR>FLAPS?VER IDENT KILL)Its been a few years but PM if you have any questions

I did a search of MU-2 vs. King Air accidents on the NTSB site:
Here are the relative #'s. U S only

King Air total fleet as of 1/1/80 1920
King Air Accidents: 224 Fatal 75 Fatal = 33%
% of fleet involved in accidents: 11
% of fleet involved in fatal accidents: 4

Mu-2 Total fleet as of 1/1/80 442
MU-2 Accidents: 72 Fatal 35 Fatal = 48%
% of fleet involved in accidents: 16
% of fleet involved in fatal accidents: 8

the MU-2 fleet is only 23% af the King Air fleet yet had 47% of the combined fatal accidents.

I used the King Air because it's the most popular turboprop in the class. Feel free to corect my math. Which would I rather fly.
Training is paramount, use extreme caution in ice, study the NTSB accident reports to learn how pilots bust their A$$.
Good Luck

There's been a lot said about the MU-2 saftey record including my post above. It's an airplane pilots either love or hate. Here's the scoop compared to most of the other turboprops. this data was found by searching registration data and the NTSB accident site.
All data from 1983 to present due to database limitations.

M/M Total A/C Accidents Fatal % of fleet
in fatal Acc.

Cessna 425 203 19 7 3.4
Cessna 441 264 26 11 4.1
Aero 690/680T
Commander 460 25 10 2.1
Piper PA-31T 543 48 20 3.6
Piper PA-42 131 7 3 2.3
King Air (all) 2112 267 75 3.5
Mitsubishi 484 77 35 7.2

As can be seen the Turbo Commanders are the safest and the MU-2 is almost twice as bad as the second to last. This only takes into account total #'s and not flight hours. A large # of these accidents are CFIT or loss of control and the MU-2 also leads in these areas. The MU-2 is not in and of it's self unsafe it is just unforgiving of any complacency or lack of proficiency or judgement by it's pilot.

Don't let them scare you too badly....

I ran an MU-2L (long body / freight mod) for a Part 135 auto parts on
demand in the Great Lakes and Canada. It is a fantastic airplane, but
you MUST know it's quirks....it does not suffer fools lightly.
The "Mits" is a trim hungry beast, any change in power or configuration
usually requires a complete retrim. It is nowhere as near a dynamically
stable as a King Air. Fly it by the numbers, and remember to use a
checklist EVERY TIME you take off. Forget the take off flaps and you
will rapidly become familiar with that seldom mentioned V speed, "Vcr"
(That's "Accelerate / Car'" because that's what you for all purposes are,
a 140 knot automobile, that will shoot off the runway's end.)
Hard IMC single pilot with an inoperative autopilot was a "no go"
at my company due to the Mits's lack of stability. Know the autopilot,
and learn it's quirks well, as uncommanded pitch downs have killed more
than a few pilots. Good headsets are a MUST. The Garrett TPE-331s
are world renowned for the MU-2 salute....that's a ramp lineman with
his hands mashed tight against his ears.
Now for the good stuff: It hauls bootie, sips gas, rides great in
turbulance due to the high wing loading, will carry a whale of ice if
you keep it scooting, has huge flaps that will allow incredible short
field operations, is built like a tank, and seldom breaks.

In summary, it's a neat machine...just stay current and play by the rules
and you'll do fine! I loved the MU-2.

Don't land it hard with full tanks cause you'll f up the spar.....you can tell the ones that have been landed hard and the ones that are cherrys by how the wing oilcans when you move the tank up and down
-dog

Actually, the MU can be taken off without flaps. Not that you would want to for all seriousness, but if your fooling around and empty, its fun. *Only long runways though*

Performance wise, it can be put into 2000 foot strips and taken out of. (not to heavy). a arse chewing resulted after CP found out. Fun stuff. LOL

The cabin dump comes in handy for Mountain Dew farts. Or, you can pull the door seal breaker. Not recommended. Ears will hurt with the later.

Spinning tip tank fuel gauges are very common. Wip out the calculator and keep mental notes of your fuel. Don't trust the gauges.

Some MU-2's have a breaker panel in the back of the plane. Really sucks if you pop one and your full of crap and don't have anyone to crawl back there.

Make sure the line service guys put your tow link back togehter. You will do this atleast once.

Backing up with beta is fun.

Vmc is very violant with no flaps. Screaming is optional.

Rolls like a dream and high speeds. Make sure someone shows you how. Never had the guts to do it myself though.

If you have the emergency hatch on either the captains or FO;s seat window, DO NOT GO OUT HEAD FIRST!!!!!!!!. You will break your arse.

One of the biggest pain is putting extra seats in the back. Screwing around with those pegs and sliding them is a royal pain in the arse.

So many memories and good times with this thing.
Wish I would have stayed.

Anybody else have any memories?

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for all the informative and entertaining posts. Have now flown 4 Part 91 legs and start indoc training on the 21st and MU-2 School with Reese on the 3rd of March. I have 1 landing under my belt... the most challenging I have ever made (with a 4 knot wind down the runway).

I can say that learning this plane will be a challenge and it has my respect. I can also see that I am going to love flying it. I have a great Captain working with me and he has already shared some great insights into the aircraft with me. Thanks for all the stories and I look forward to sharing mine with you.

Frank Bell

Reece Howell training = Safe MU2 pilot

Sir you are very lucky to get trained by Mr Howell. I used to fly the MU2 out of Smyrna TN. I logged a little over 2000 hours in that airplane and flew it all over the country. Reece is a great instructor. Listen to what he has to say and use some good common sense and you will get lots of enjoyment out of the airplane. Just be careful in icing conditions. Dont get slow or fly around with a high pitch attitude. The autopilots have a bad reputation. I used to turn mine off for all approaches and when I encountered moderate or greater icing conditions. As Reece will show you, TRIM is the key to flying the airplane especially if you loose an engine. Good luck and fly safe!!! :)

PS: Before takeoff always check 5 to stay alive - 3 trims, flaps, and condition levers.

Take care
:p

Latest resources

Back