Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AirBadger said:
RIP

On that note, has anyone here had an engine failure in a MU-2?

One of the pilots at my company had to shut one down after takeoff about a year and a half ago (lost oil pressure). Secured the engine, came back around and landed without incident. Our chief pilot had a similar situation many years back (not sure what the cause of that one was).

My thoughts and prayers with the pilot's family.

I read this morning that 10% of the fleet has been involved in accidents, and I think (not certain, will edit if wrong) that 10% of the fleet has been involved in fatal accidents. Okay the number quoted is 80 fatals, about 10% of the world wide fleet.

Not a good record any way you look at it.

sky37d said:
My thoughts and prayers with the pilot's family.

I read this morning that 10% of the fleet has been involved in accidents, and I think (not certain, will edit if wrong) that 10% of the fleet has been involved in fatal accidents. Okay the number quoted is 80 fatals, about 10% of the world wide fleet.

Not a good record any way you look at it.

again, as an MU-2 widow...my thoughts are with the family. i wanted to respond though, and i got this information by doing a simple inquiry on the NTSB web site, since April 1983 (that's as far back as the computerized records go):
98 accidents just in the US and Canada
of those - 48 accidents resulted in 131 deaths

not a good record at all. (and guys, this is not intended to start a whole other discussion or hijack the thread, only to respond to the above post so plz don't start bashing)
SG

Yeah, no bashing intended, just repeating what I read this morning.

Man that is terrible! I have seen that plane many times in the south east. Was there almost every time I flew into Myrtle Beach. When I read the report that is the plane I was thinking about. Condolences to the family.

Latest resources

Back