MSP Departure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

The other day I was in MSP and we were told to depart RWY 12L on the COULT departure. I read the JEPP publication of the COULT departure and it doesn't make any sense. I don't have the departure plate with me right now but it reads something to the effect "after departure fly assigned heading, 060 clockwise to 100." Can anyone explain this in clear simple terms? I asked my captain and a check airman at our company and no one can explain what this means.

Thx.

Between those headings you need to be at or above 3500' at either 17 DME from the FCM VOR if DME equipped or the FGT R-010 if not DME equipped. Departure crossing restrictions require 430' per nm to 3500'

the DP is contingent on the heading assigned to you by tower in your takeoff clearance. To me this is incredibly stupid, since you ought to have more time to prepare and brief the exact departure you fly. of course, to those who do MSP daily, it may be easy to anticipate the initial heading you will receive, but for me, it leaves just a bit of confusion in the plan. That said, I have dealt with it just fine. Just ask tower ahead of time for the planned heading so you can set up the appropriate crossing restrictions.

They used to have those crossing restrictions for all the runways... earlier this year they did away with them for the 30s and now it's just the 12s & 17.

Regardless of the heading assigned...crossing 17 DME from FCM is not an issue. You would have to be flying a 152 to not make the restriction. Saabs and CRJ's make it hundreds of times per day with lots of room to spare.

The restriction is not an issue unless you tank an engine, in which case you obviously need to speak up.

Splitbar, as a Chico State alumni, I love your avatar.

Cheers!

Now if they could only replace Summit with Sierra Nevada at the Metrodome, life would be much better!

I have to say that SIDs like that are fricking annoying.

"DME Equipped Aircraft asigned heading 010 counterclockwise to 359 cross 5 dme at aor above 4700'. Aircraft assigned heading 011 clockwise to 020 cross 6.23 dme at or below 4029'."

Stupid.:angryfire

That crap was designed to make ATC's job easier (the guy at 1g and Zero feet agl) and the fella in the fricking pilot's seat harder.

While I agree a 121/135/91 transport Category aircraft should have no problem. It takes time and extra brain cells that I don't have to brief that.

Last edited:
Ok, so based on your posts... You are telling me that MSP tower will give me an intial heading and that the assigned heading will be between 060 and 100 deg?

It's like minimac says, if you're assigned a heading from x to x you have to cross a point at or above the specified altitude. I believe its normally to get you above arrival/departure traffic for St. Paul Downtown (STP) when departing to the southeast.

Agreed though, the MSP departures are silly. In reality, it doesn't matter as just about anything will meet the gradient, and you're just going to fly the heading that tower has assigned. Its not an obstacle issue.

Latest resources

Back