Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Little_Bill

Boldly Going
James Doohan, Who Played Scotty on `Star Trek,' Dies (Update1) July 20 (Bloomberg) -- James Doohan, who beamed up Captain Kirk and the rest of the Starship Enterprise crew as engineer Scotty in the ``Star Trek'' science-fiction television series and films, has died. He was 85.

Doohan died of pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease at his home today in Redmond, Washington, with his wife by his side, according to a statement on the official Startrek.com Web site. The actor also suffered from Parkinson's disease, diabetes and lung fibrosis and used a wheelchair.

He played Lieutenant Commander Montgomery ``Scotty'' Scott, the Enterprise's chief engineer, on ``Star Trek,'' which ran on NBC network from 1966-1969. A typecast Doohan spent the better part of the next three decades hearing ``Beam me up, Scotty!'' -- a line reportedly never actually spoken on the show.

``I'm not tired of it at all,'' Doohan said in a 1998 interview with the Associated Press. ``Good gracious, it's been said to me for just about 31 years. It's been said to me at 70 miles an hour across four lanes on the freeway. I hear it from just about everybody. It's been fun.''

``Star Trek'' was canceled after 79 episodes, then gained legions of fans in reruns, spinning off 10 movies, five TV series and a burgeoning convention circuit. Doohan later made a guest appearance on the ``Star Trek: The Next Generation'' TV series (1987-1994), starring Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean-Luc Picard.

The Startrek.com Web site is owned by Paramount Pictures, which has the rights to the series.

Trouble With Tribbles

Doohan created the Klingon language introduced in the first Star Trek movie, 1979's ``Star Trek: The Motion Picture,'' according to the director's edition DVD of the film. His original sounds were expanded and used to translate William Shakespeare plays and the Bible.

Doohan made his last public appearance in August 2004 when he received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and blew kisses to a standing-room-only crowd at the two-day ``Beam Me Up, Scotty ... One More Time'' tribute and convention at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel.

James Montgomery Doohan was born on March 3, 1920, in Vancouver, British Columbia. He became a captain of artillery in the Royal Canadian Army during World War II.

Doohan lost the middle finger of his right hand on June 6, 1944, or D-Day, when the Allied forces invaded France. The injury is visible in only two ``Star Trek'' episodes, ``The Trouble With Tribbles'' and ``Cats Paw,'' according to Internet Movie Database.

`Better Be a Scotsman'

In 1946, Doohan won a two-year scholarship to drama teacher Sanford Meisner's Neighborhood Playhouse in New York City, where he trained alongside actors Tony Randall and Jackie Gleason. He served as Meisner's assistant for several years.

Doohan went on to appear on 4,000 radio shows and 400 live TV shows for the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. He acted in plays and films in the U.S. and Canada and guest-starred on TV shows including ``Bonanza'' and ``The Twilight Zone.''

He joined the cast of ``Star Trek'' after the first of two pilots. Doohan said in a 1994 interview with the Advocate of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, that he auditioned with seven or eight different accents. ``Star Trek'' creator Gene Roddenberry then asked him to choose his favorite accent and Doohan said, ``If you're looking for an engineer, I think he'd better be a Scotsman.''

`Can't Take Any More!'

Scotty, named after Doohan's grandfather, was a mechanical wizard who could fix dilithium crystals with safety pins and bail William Shatner's Captain James T. Kirk out of scrapes. He would shout in a Scottish brogue, ``Captain, she can't take any more.''

Doohan also appeared in the first seven Star Trek movies, spanning from ``Star Trek: The Motion Picture'' (1979) to ``Star Trek: Generations'' in 1994.

Doohan became a regular on the Star Trek convention circuit. Fans praised him for always signing autographs and chatting with fans about alternate universes. The ``Beam Me Up'' convention in August 2004 featured Scotty impersonation contests, Scotty trivia and a panel discussion on ``The Influence of Scotty on Society.''

Doohan said in a 1994 Boston Herald interview that he appeared at ``Star Trek'' events ``because I'm not getting other parts. I get a fabulous living just doing appearances.''

He also was a regular speaker at colleges and a spokesman for Royal Philips Electronics NV.

Survivors include his wife Wende, sons Eric and Thomas, daughter Sarah and four children, Larkin, Deirdre, Montgomery and Christopher, from his first marriage.

Latest resources

Back