• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Moving to Seattle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I lived in Gig Harbor (just across the Narrows bridge from Tacoma) from 2000 til 2002. I am from the East so I have no prejudice one way or the other. My experience would fit right in the middle of all the good and bad posted here. I will say that if you are going to be on reserve or a pager, dont get too far from the airport as I-5 turns into a parking lot every morning and every evening (and I mean PARKING LOT). and there are ZERO alternative routes. Unfortunately this will put your living situation in the most undesirable part of the area. Get north of Ballard or south of Federal Way (the 2 arm pits of the city) and it is beautiful. Oh and trade in your flip-flops, wake -board shorts, and sun glasses for Hikers, anything Fleece, and a Canoe rack.

Last edited:
Fox2 said:
shone 7:

[Finally, the school system here is mediocre at best. Plan on spending some serious cash for a private school if you want your kids to learn more than it's o.k. to have two mommies.]

Just my two cents, but I've lived here long enough to see the continued Californication of Seattle.

Don't know where you do your fact finding? But the Bellevue school district alone has 3 of the top 50 ranked High shcools in the nation. Ten mins to RNT and only 20 mins to Sea-tac.

SneakyJake said:
Don't knock T-town.

I used to work in an Emergency Room in downtown Tacoma so unfortunately I sorta associate the city with puke, blood, urine and feces, overdoses, drunk homeless dudes and assault victims.

The same things that I associate with my apartment on a Saturday night.

But really, Tacoma had some nice areas when I lived in the Puget Sound and I've heard that it has improved in recent years. I'd love to move back to Western Washington, it's still a great place even with the growth and the traffic.

There's always some guy, like othello, who thinks that the exception proves the rule. Of course the dirty little secret of those rankings is that they don't include any private schools in their rankings. But, even if one considered Bellevue schools above average, the last time I went house hunting in Bellevue, the cheapest house I found was over $600K...and that was seven years ago!!!!
And you'd still have to commute across I-405 which is a virtual parking lot twice a day.

If you want your kids to grow up indocrinated in hating America, send 'em to Utopia...I mean Seattle.

Last edited:
Hate to say this......But Fox is an idiot when it comes to Seattle. Its the most beautiful city in the U.S. in my opinion. The highways suck, but what do we care, we don't have 9-5 jobs anyways. There are parts of Seattle that are extremely clean, and parts that aren't. People don't get shot or stabbed everyday in the south side. (I'm sure he's probably talking about the Pioneer square area). But MLK up by Rainer you might want to stay away from late at night (during the day your fine). There are bumms on the streets in some areas, but aren't there in every major town? If you want to look at the bad, you can find it, but it will be much easier to see the good of Seattle than find the bad. The roads suck, but guess what, it ain't going to change. You have water on the east and west sides of Seattle, so no matter what they do, simple demographics will keep the roads crowded. I sometimes question the politics, but I do enjoy the laid back liberal attitude that many of the people have ( and I am by no means a hard core liberal). In general, the people are friendly. You will be hard pressed to find better restaurants in anyother city. Seattly has some wonderful seafood. BTW..For those that think T-Town is a pit, well, the city has done a ton to fix the problems of the past, and they are doing a great job. The UW Tacoma area is nice as well as Ruston and Old town. The hill top area isn't what is used to be and you can still get housing at a reasonable price. (in 20 years we will probably all wished we would have invested in T-Town since I think that's where the money will start going). Its people like Fox, that probably have a bad attitude about everything, that ruin it for people who can look at the bright side. BTW....Seattle gets less rain than NY or ATL. BTW...Fox, if you would have invested in Microsoft like all those who live in Bellevue, you would be able to easily afford one of those big houses in Bellevue or Redmond! If you thought being an airline pilot was going to pay your way, your sorely mistaken!

Last edited:
Basically, we have a guy who is moving to Seattle (already a done deal, based on his questions), who came here for help with some basic questions about wireless service, areas to look at for a residence, etc...

He got a couple of quick answers, then the thread degenerated into typical flightinfo...people pushing their ideas about politics, their views of the socio-economics of Seattle, and generally anything BUT what the guy asked for.

Typcial.

Hopefully he found somewhere or someone else to help with his questions.

Last edited:
Actually, Shon7 asked for accomodations and other suggestions and comments.

Unbeknown to him, gt1900 just spent an entire paragraph agreeing with the deteriorating conditions of Seattle; the Hill-Top community in Tacoma (the murder capital of Western Washington) the horrible traffic and the pervasive liberal attitude. The only thing we both forgot to mention is the taxes...highest gas tax in the nation, high real estate taxes, high sales tax. True, there is no income tax, but the others more than offset that fact. I have lived in many other states with an income tax and can attest to that.

If gt1900 could just get beyond the ad hominum attacks, he may realize how extraordinarily similar are our views of Seattle.

One last note for shon7. You can indeed find good things in the Seattle area (seafood, outdoor recreation). I just thought you'd like to know that Seattle has another side to it that isn't as pretty as the scenery. Depending on your own personal situation, you can decide if the information is pertinent to you or not. I simply don't believe in the Political Correctness and sensorship that our liberal friends gt1900 and yank McCob ascribe to. If shon7 had wanted all roses he could have just asked for a brochure from the Chamber of Commerce.

Good luck

shon7 said:
I'll be moving to Seattle within the next month. Need help/advice with the following:

- Which is a good phone service (wireless) for the area
- Any good airports to fly out of (Cessna/Pipers) near Seattle
- Any suggestions on living accomodations (preferably near KSEA)
- Any other tips/suggestions

If what you are saying is to be in General Aviation, then plan to be realy poor. I know. Lived there for 3 years. Many people who had been there in the past told me not to go. I did not listen, and they where right.

Good luck

Last edited:
Fox2 said:
One last note for shon7. You can indeed find good things in the Seattle area (seafood, outdoor recreation). I just thought you'd like to know that Seattle has another side to it that isn't as pretty as the scenery. Depending on your own personal situation, you can decide if the information is pertinent to you or not. I simply don't believe in the Political Correctness and sensorship that our liberal friends gt1900 and yank McCob ascribe to. If shon7 had wanted all roses he could have just asked for a brochure from the Chamber of Commerce.

Good luck

He wasn't seeking roses. He was seeking infomation about certain things he would require for his MOVE TO SEATTLE. He has a job, he is commited to the move. Pontificating about political correctness, liberals, and the "other side" to Seattle accomplishes WHAT as far as shon7 is concerned? Nothing. It simply is another excuse for you to spew whatever comes from you undersized brain and oversized mouth. You just "thought he'd like to know. Yeah, right. You could care less what he "knows" as long as it is your version of what you think he needs to know.

Get a clue or STFU. Oh, I forgot. This is flightinfo. That's not possible.

BTW, the word is "censorship" with a "c". I guess education isn't your strong point, either.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back