• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mountain Waves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was young and dumb, 18 years old in a LS4b. Descended from like 14'000 heading into the wind on my way back to the frozen lake/airfield, and approached a standing wave from behind. I figured no harm in flying right below the lenticular cloud, as I thought this "rotor cloud" wouldnt hurt that bad. I was thrown hard around in the cockpit, and I nearly lost control over the little airplane...airspeed going from stallspeed to pretty high up in the yellow arc (which at that altitude probably was close to Vne considering flutter), and wingdrop after wingdrop keeping me extremely busy. I will never ever EVER fly through a rotor cloud again, it is much stronger/powerfull stuff than can be comprehended through words alone.

I especially appreciated the quiet and calm air experienced once established in a smooth rising portion of a wave. Flying with other airplanes and remaining stationary in one position while climbing 4-5m/s is incredible, and the silence makes it so much more enjoyable.

Wavy Gravy

I fly out of Surgarbush (0B7), here in Warren VT. We are right in the middle of the Green Mountains and wave is common in the Fall. Believe it or not, wave can actually be boring after the novelty of getting into it has worn off. Though the views can be spectacular. Sometimes it's hard to find it, you don't always have lenticular clouds to mark it. You feel it as much as anything, smooth as glass. Rotor can be disconcerting, especially if you don't have clouds to mark it. It can be fun, though. Fall out of the primary, you can drop down into the up part of the rotor- maybe get back into the primary if it goes down far enough. Or run the gauntlent of the down part of the rotor and get into secordary . . . but you want a machine with good wind penetration. The 1-26 is not your wave ride of choice.

Minden, NV highest personal mountain wave flight was at age 17 to FL330. The only reason we didn't go higher was Oakland center wouldn't open the window up to higher levels. Needed full spoilers (G103) to get down that day.

DK

A long time ago I was soaring mt. wave near Sugarbush ski resort. Great vertical lift. It felt like riding in an elevator. I'd go up to 12 or 13 thousand then spin a Schweitzer 126 down to 5K and do it again. My brother was on a check flight and got caught in some rotor turbulence. His sailplane ended up in front of the tow plane. Some how they sorted it all out. Great fun!

Latest resources

Back