Mountain Air Cargo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
single vs crew

I'll be retired military when i transition to aviation as a career...Wife is an engineer so for me I'd rather just make a career out of flying by myself and not have to deal with the other person...You are right - the good ones make up for the bad ones (i'm sure i'm no saint...but...)...Still, I get plenty of glory all day long I don't need it and like you said you can't eat it...I was enlisted for eight years before i commissioned...rank / glory doesn't do it for me...I like doing my job and take pride in doing it well...

-LA

CrimsonEclipse said:
Go to JSFirm.com
MAC commonly advertises there. There is presently a C208
position on page 3 of the fixed wing section.

Some people DO jumpseat but there is no aggreement....with anyone.
So your jumpseat is really by luck. No one outside of official business
has even been in the jumpseat of any of my flights.

Single Pilot -vs- CRM
as a single pilot, you are in command, period. Independence is great
and many have made a career of C208 positions. No glory of a 500 tonne
jet...but you can't eat glory. You are almosy ALWAYS home each night,
so it's easier to have a life/family. Skills tend to deteoriate. No one is
watching over your sholder. Don't expect your Single pilot time to go
too terribly far in the eyes of a major airline. Don't expect much travel.

CRM, more time away from home, looks good on a resume. You now have
to deal with the good/bad of the other crew member. ALL airlines have
their loser crewmembers, and to some, I may be one of those. I wish I
had $1 for each Farting, smelling, bitching, rude, self centered, etc etc
crewmember I've dealt with. Same goes for the wise, interesting, and
down to earth people. It's a crap shoot.

in the long run, I'll DEFINITELY take boxes over people. Only one other
person to answer to if I screw up....assuming he's awake :D

CE

Very well said my friend. I dont think I could've put it in better words my self. I loved flying boxes, not to say single pilot. Just like you if I had a dollar for every dik I've flown with i would be a millionare..... there are a few good men out there, but just about everyone that I've flow has their own "technique" at everything and are touchy when you dont do their "technique". Unless you are very good friends with the guy next to you and you know his likes and dislikes the going to work every day thing is something you look forward to. But if you got a bitching, rude, wise ass next to ya then going to work is just like going to the office....I personally dont wish it on anybody and guys please, once you make captain and have a new FO be patient and dont be a dick!! b/c sooner or later that FO is going to stick you in the throat. I know! I did it before and boy it felt good....:blush:

Last edited:
Mac Ii

As far as getting a base... it's whatever the company needs. Seniority? Kind of, depends on the company needs whether or not they let you move to another base, another plane, etc.

Now to get into a FL van you have to wait for some one to die or win the lottery. Those guys never leave. It's the black hole of the aviation. Pilots go in but never come out. Life is good and the runs are fairly nice.

Right now things are changing so no one knows what's really going on. Once all the ATRs are online and the F-27 finished, the dust will settle and you should be able to stick with a base. Right now I think floater bases are coming back, which really suck for family life. You move to a city then float all week somewhere else and return to the base city for the weekend.

As far as CRM and phallic’s, just stick to SOP and standardized responses. If the other guy gives you too much caca just offer to get them coffee and pee in it.

BWT... if my boss is reading this I still love my job and it's a great company to work for. ;)

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back