motorcycle maintenance question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jsoceanlord

what's the maintenance routine on a motorcycle ? (besides checking the oil, tire press., etc) I've got a 1979 Suzuki.

I saw 'fork oil' in a 'cycle store. I guess you should check transmission and brake fluid.

thanks

WTF?

I'm lazy and bring mine in for a tune up every spring. They change all the fluids and test ride it. Handy for about $100.

jsoceanlord said:
what's the maintenance routine on a motorcycle ? (besides checking the oil, tire press., etc) I've got a 1979 Suzuki.

I saw 'fork oil' in a 'cycle store. I guess you should check transmission and brake fluid.

thanks

Bikes of that vintage do require a considerable amount of maintenace to keep them riding safely. While they are comparable, if not a little more primative, than the cars of that era the consequences of a mechanical failure on a motorbike are much more dire than the same failure on a car.

The specific mx required for your bike will vary so I would recomend getting a service manual for your make, model, and year. If your looking for a place to get started and are unsure of the mx history on your ride I would recommend the following:

- Change motor oil and filter
- Change all hydraulic fluids (brakes, fork fluid, and clutch if installed) and check for leaks
- If it is a chain drive inspect chain strech and tension as well as drive gear wear and lubrication
- Inspect brake pad/shoe wear and adjustment
- Check air filter
- If you are very mechanically inclined, remove carbs disassemble, clean out all fuel jets and any other residue build up with a carb cleaner.
- General inspection of hardware security, tire condition, throttle movement, and battery condition

Completion of the above should give you something that is at least safe to ride.

jsoceanlord,

Theres lots of Suzuki websites/forums that can probably tell you more. http://www.beginnerbikes.com has a lot of people with the older suzukis (one guy on there had a 79 GS550 I believe), and http://www.gstwin.com is for mostly GS500 riders though a lot of those guys have been around the older bikes as well. Also, ask a local suzuki dealership if they know any mechanics that work there/that could give you advice. a lot of places wont work on bikes that old but can offer advice. I know the local place I got my bike at, the 2 mechanics each have been working on bikes since the 70's.

Mine is an 87 Kawasaki EX500 with 21k miles on it and it runs like it did new. It all depends on the maintenance and if it was done. If its been done and well maintained these things can last forever.Do you own this bike or are you looking to buy one?

I own it. It's a GS1000L. I bought it at a garage sale for $200 and put about $1200 into rebuilding it. The mechanic said it only had 4000 miles on it. There's some kind of drive chain rubbing sound coming from near the front tire (under the speedometer)

jsoceanlord said:
I own it. It's a GS1000L. I bought it at a garage sale for $200 and put about $1200 into rebuilding it. The mechanic said it only had 4000 miles on it. There's some kind of drive chain rubbing sound coming from near the front tire (under the speedometer)

Try taking the speedometer cable off (just unscrew it at both ends) and see if that was the problem. Not uncommon for those things to get dry and make noise. They aren't to expensive if you need to replace it but I would try lubing it first.

Latest resources

Back