Most valuable type rating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ClassG

Ooops. Posted this on the general board by accident.

If you had the chance to choose a type rating, and someone offered to pay for it, which one would it be?

Actually, what would be your top five choices?

The reason I ask, is that my state's Work Investment Act funds may assist me in getting typed, but I need to have a job offer first. There are a large number of operators in my region. I plan to contact them with this information, and see if any will bite. I don't want to waste time or effort contacting operators of aircraft types that few others are hiring into. As a long term plan, I would want to get typed in an aircraft with strong future hiring prospects.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

1. CE-500
2. LR-JET
3. DA-50 (Covers Falcon 900 also)
4. CL-600
5. HS-125

Just my $0.02 worth off the top of my head (haven't had my morning coffee yet)

1. LRJET
2. CE500

Easy, why because they allow you to fly the most airplanes the LRJET allows you to fly a Lear 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 31, 31A, 55. The CE500 allows you to fly a Citation 500, I, ISP, II, IISP, SII, V, V Ultra, Encore.

Also, since these are entry level type jets its easier to get a job flying one than a seat in a Falcon 900! Without much jet time the other type ratings I'd consider are DA10, IAJET, BE400/MU300, and C525.

Now you asked which is the most valuable type, I'd say a GV, BBD-700, or DA50. Why, because these jobs typically pay the most, but unless you have a boat load of jet time and international experience those type ratings are useless.

So stick with the Lear or Citation, and go to FS or SF to really learn the airplane, those 4 day $4000 courses aren't worth it if you really know nothing about the airplane and are actually planning on flying it.

Before you go I'd also go down to the local Lear or Citation charter operator and ask them, if you could take a 135 check-ride on their certificate as long your going to FS anyway (the charter operator needs to have FS or SF approved as a training provider for this to work). This has a lot of advantages, 1 the charter operator now has another "reserve" pilot, 2 you have possible work, 3 you have a valid 8410 which makes it easier to get employed with another charter operator.

Last edited:
Hey does that Work Investment thingy mabob you were talking about work in Missouri only? What about Kans-ass? Me like free assisted type ratings, and I know plenty of people who would offer me a job, definately part-time, if I could get a type.

I'm told all the states have - it's Federal money. But some states have used up theirs and don't get more til mid-year 2003. I doubt Kansas has used up all theirs, but you never know. If you've been "displaced" from your aviation job and are looking for another, the WIA funds may be available for you. Call your local unemployment office for details.

501261 said:
Easy, why because they allow you to fly the most airplanes the LRJET allows you to fly a Lear 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 31, 31A, 55.

Don't forget most imporatantly the LR-JET also includes the Lear 35, 35a and 36!

I agree with everyone! The LRJET is the best type rating...in a way...
There are LOTS of learjets and learjet jobs out there...but...very very few GOOD learjet jobs!
A great rating to have to keep you working, no doubt about it!
Another one I consider a "sleeper"....the IAJET (Westwind) Nobody wants to fly the ugly peice of crrap, but they are out there and not many guys rated and current it seems....

What about a soon to be furloughed part 121 regional FO, with an ATP - 4100 total time and 2100 hrs jet in a 93,500lb a/c? (bae146) Would getting a CE500 or Lear type open any corporate doors, or am I wasting my time?

While there are a lot of Lears and Citations out there, there are also a lot of pilots rated in those aircraft. So I believe a IA-Jet or HS 125 type are worth more.

As for Lear jobs. Many are not worth the bother. Low pay and terrible working conditions. And the insurance requirements are stiff, so you have to have a good level of experience. If you do have the experience and the type, you really don't have to look for work. It comes looking for you. Even in today's enviroment.

salary rule

If I am not mistaken you have to have the job offer and it has to be at least 70% of your last salary to qualify for WIA. ex you use to make 100 dollars a year your new job offer has to pay 70 dollars a year.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back