Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

enigma

good ol boy
I just received a letter from the office of Senator Hutchison.

The letter starts with a "thank you for contacting me" paragraph. Nothing wrong so far, then.......

She states, "The Wright Amendment grew out of an agreement reached in 1979 between the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth, the State of Texas, and the federal government when the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth were mandated by the federal government to build Dallas/Fort Worth Airport (DFW). In 1998, Congress approved a transportation spending bill that included modifications to permit direct, non-stop service to Kansas, Alabama, and Mississippi from Love Field.

When the metroplex voters approved financing for DFW in the late 1960's, they did so with assurances that area property taxpayers would not be adversely affected by operation of a consolidated airport. Given the cooperative nature of the original agreement between the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth, the economic impact must be thoroughly studied before any changes are made to the Wright Agreement. We must be particularly careful given the economic consequences to DFW and the region following the decision of Delta Air Lines to pull out of the airport.

I appreciate hearing from you and hope you will not hesitate to keep in touch on any issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison"

What say you?

enigma

Blaaaaaaaaa Blaaaaaaaaaa Blaaaaaaaaaaa

Typical politicians response, or AA owns her ass.

I started to rip her last night and then found out that our leader had tragically died. In his honor, I'll wait til later to rip anybody. This thread can be continued at a more appropriate time.

RIP Mark

enigma

I find Senator Hutchisons first sentence (aside from the "thanks for writing" to be factually incorrect. I'll add some comment in red. She wrote, "The Wright Amendment grew out of an agreement reached in 1979 between the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth, the State of Texas, and the federal government some what true but misleading when the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth were mandated by the federal government to build Dallas/Fort Worth Airport (DFW) incorrect, the mandate to build DFW was came in the late sixties, not 1979."

Even supporters of this amendment are more honest with the facts than is the Senator. I've yet to read a supporters attempt to link the WA with the agreement to build DFW. Those people readily admit that the WA came about as a way to stop the problems caused by the failure to close Love after building DFW, but they don't attempt to somehow fool us/me into thinking that the WA was a part of the original deal. I'm quite insulted by the Senators letter, (written to me a constituent, in response to my letter to her office) because it assumes that I don't know anything about the issue. If I were a sitting US Senator, I think that I'd have enough sense to read the letters before I sent a response. I think the letter she sent me is evidence that she has no intention of giving a substantive response. In other words, she doesn't give her voters enough respect to realize that we might know shes just spewing bilge.

I'll vote independent next time. I don't like people who attempt to fool me with misleading comments. I'd have no problem with an honest response that I disagree with, but I get a little ticked off when someone gives a political response. I rarely agreed with Governor Ann Richards, but I always knew where she stood because she said what she thought and didn't attempt to have anything both ways. I could respect Queen Ann, but not Senator Hutchison.

I'll never understand how a politician, who by definition was able to win over at least 51% of the voters, would respond to any question with less than an honest fact based answer.

Back to the issue,
[FONT=&quot] Notice that she is honest in her main focus, DFW financing. Unfortunately, her perspective is, as is that of most politicians, from the side of government. Her concern is with the ability to pay for DFW, which is legitimate, but she is ignoring the negative impact of the high airfares historically charged by the dominant carrier at its fortress hub. It has been mentioned that AA's current fares are low, and that is true, but if one looks at fares from a historical perspective, DFW fares are high. Period. LCC competion in the area can only benefit the areas passengers, yet politicians are ready to force us into high fares so that they don't have to answer for their lack of fiscal responsibility. Senator Hutchison wants all of the passengers to pay the high costs of DFW operations. I wonder if she's ever thought that maybe DFW would be attractive if their long term costs were lowered instead of raised by the constant "upgrading"?

In short, I'm unhappy with politicians who raise my taxes and force me to pay higher fares because they couldn't do an acceptable job of managing the projects they support. DFW has been a hole that the eats money. Maybe what we need is for DFW to be run by a businessman, not by politicians (and their husbands/patrons/law partners.

Well, it's off to work. Sorry for the ramble.
enigma

Sorry for the differing fonts. I wrote part of this before I heard about Marks passing, and stored it for later.
[/FONT]

Latest resources

Back