• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More TSA antics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thank you for posting the article. I think every pilot should use it.

I am of the opinion that the TSA is literally out of control and has overstepped their power many times. When, after 9/11, I was of the opinion that more security was needed at airports...I had no idea the TSA would be able to restrict the freedom of typical passengers and restrict our jumpseating privlages so much.

Good security is essential, increasing government tyranny is not.

DOWN WITH THE TSA!

I wonder if I'll get put on the "watch list" for this posting. ;)

Noam

Screw the T$A. I'm 3 seconds from knocking one of them out. These guys have literally zapped my interest in both flying for a living and as a passenger...and I'm a pilot. I will avoid airports like the plague, if I can at all stand it. It's a good thing I get an employee discount on rentals here and have a willingness to fly long distances.

Seriously, these guys are going to kill an industry. They're already on their way. Best of luck gentlemen. Hope you have a backup career in mind...

Just to interject a little perspective here, I have to say that the TSA agents I've dealt with since 9-11 have been fairly professional. That doesn't meant that the antics depicted above did not happen; on the contrary, I'm sure they did. However, given the millions upon millions of screenings that take place annually, I have to believe that the TSA--on a whole--is doing an acceptable job.

Are we safer? Well, from the perspective of screenings only, I'd say yes. They do seem to stop a greater percentage of junk from making it on to the airplane. Overall security is a joke, but that issue is not destined for this thread, nor should the gaps be discussed in public.

More disturbing, I've heard some on this board proclaim that they don't even say "hello" to the TSA types at the screening point. What drives them to this point? I suppose our hapless aviators are fed up with the "process" and are fighting back, deciding to remain silent and ignore the TSA. In that world they both avoid antagonizing the screeners and manage to strike a blow against such totalitarian authority.

I just don't see it that way; I simply use the Golden Rule. Treat them just like you'd like to be treated. Say hello, give them a quick smile. You'd be surprised how well it works most of the time. If it doesn't, well, take it up--professionally--with the supervisor. It that doesn't work, write the TSA a letter explaining the situation.

Enough of those letters may, just may, result in change.

Fascinating read. That's an eye opener.

So what did they do with the 4.8 million nail clippers, uh, I mean "dangerous items", that they confiscated?

Last edited:
shamrock said:
So what did they do with the 4.8 million nail clippers, uh, I mean "dangerous items", that they confiscated?

Let's just say Tom Ridge has the nicest manicure you will ever see...

SK:cool:

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

power trip

The part of the article that jumped out at me was the story of the inept air marshall who couldn't pass psych tests for other law enforcement jobs, including a prison guard...yet he is given a gun and put on an airplane. It highlights the power trip that can happen when someone is given a gun and extra authority. Now I don't want to change this thread to a guns in the cockpit debate...but just the other day a major airline cap that I work with made this absurd comment. "I'll be packin' heat as soon as I get the chance." Now, without going into too much detail and personally attacking someone...lets just say this guy has a little too much cowboy 'tude to be "packin heat" in the cockpit. You could just see the power trip. If he had said..."I think I would feel safer if I had access to a weapon in the cockpit" ...I might have been able to debate it logically with him. I don't really have a firm position on it..but I just wanted to share the comment in relation to the power trip displayed by the air marshall. My too sense.

Dub

Latest resources

Back