Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
What does the group think about an RV(-4 or -8) for upset training?

My initial thought is that it's a pretty slippery airplane when pointed at the ground, but the limited acro that I've done in them(only in the -8) never seemed to give any trouble when going down hill.

Educate me!

Cool, thanks....also:

What are the weight condiserations in the 4 realisticly? My only real concern with the -4 is that I'd have to only carry small children or monkeys with me when I wanted to do acro.

TXDA2000 said:
We have a 4, I'm constantly suprised by the lack of speed build up going down hill.

That seems contrary to what I have read on the vans site. After the RV-8 lost the wing on a demo flight there was a couple of articles related to flying acro. Most talked about the ease in which speed was built in a dive. I am assuming they are talking more about a botched manuever though.

If you need upset training, spend the money and do it in an extra or a pitts. You can do what you want without worrying about over g'ing. The upset training should get you completely out of control so you can recover. You cant do that in an RV safely. The RV-8 ultimate load is 9 g's and they exceeded that accidentally with a demo pilot. That should say something about 'learning' aerobatics in it.

If you are going to fly acro in a -4, it is a single pilot operation. No passengers. That is the safest way.

I don't know much abou the RV-4, but my friend flew me in his about 5 years ago, and we did loops, barrel rolls, etc... I weigh 190 and he's probably 175. Plus parachutes.

I didnt say it couldn't be done, but if you botch a manuever and are over aerobatic weight you have a reduced G capability. If you get near red line and decide to lay on 6 for the pull out, you will have a problem.

Flying over aerobatic weight is planning on not making mistakes.

I think I figured that I could safely pull 5 g's with 1/2 fuel and 2 - 185 pound people in an -8. That was a while back though....

I seem to remember initial developmental problems with the 7 and 8 rudders. Problems recovering consistently from spins.

SIG600 said:
I seem to remember initial developmental problems with the 7 and 8 rudders. Problems recovering consistently from spins.
Just the 7 had that problem, the 8 is okay. The fix for the 7 is a new rudder with a wider chord...

As for the questions about weight concerns, look 'em up here, a database with example RV weight/balance info and sample loadings for different prop/engine/gear configurations;
http://www.rvproject.com/wab/

Latest resources

Back