• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mogus

Eh?
1. What are the astigmatism boundaries?

2. How do waivers work? Why are they given out?

3. I want to fly large, turbofan aircraft. What branch of the military will I get the most hours in them?

4. Can someone with glasses fly a fighter jet? (Someone with no worse that 20/50 corrected to 20/20?)

5. I desperately want to fly but my vision isn't perfect but it does come within the requirements, am I going to have a tough time qualifying to fly?

6. How many people in the Air Force are sent to fly the aircraft with much less skill required?

7. Are women pilots allowed in combat? If so, why? I feel that the majority of men would easily make a better leader and pilot than a woman. I know that's sexist but in combat, I woudn't want a woman backing me up.

Can't answer all your questions, but here's answers to a couple.

1. What are the astigmatism boundaries?
2. How do waivers work? Why are they given out?
5. I desperately want to fly but my vision isn't perfect but it does come within the requirements, am I going to have a tough time qualifying to fly?

I don't know the specfic answers, but if you go to the following link, there are posts and responses from guys constantly asking the same questions. Do a subject search for the past couple months and you should find some good info. The site is -
http://www.studentpilot.net/cf/msgboard/messageresultsp.cfm?ds=studentpilot&msgforumid=10

4. Can someone with glasses fly a fighter jet? (Someone with no worse that 20/50 corrected to 20/20?)
This one I do know. Yes, there are plenty of fighter pilots with glasses.

6. How many people in the Air Force are sent to fly the aircraft with much less skill required?
For the most part I would say they’re not, but it’s kind of a gray area. Sometimes upgrade programs are surprisingly short and right now guys are upgrading to positions like flight lead, instructor, 4-ship flight lead that, ten years ago wouldn’t even be eligible (due to experience) to start an upgrade. It’s mostly due to the lack of experienced guys and the need for those instructors/flight leads. I wouldn’t say that guys are sent to fly the aircraft with much less skill than required, but the overall experience level has dropped.

7. Are women pilots allowed in combat? If so, why? I feel that the majority of men would easily make a better leader and pilot than a woman. I know that's sexist but in combat, I woudn't want a woman backing me up.
I’m won’t talk to ground combat because that opens a whole new can of worms, but yes, they are allowed to fly in combat. The only reason I think a man would make a better leader than a woman is because most of the troops under his control are men (many with your way of thinking), and would probably rather follow a man than a woman. In essence, he makes a better leader because his troops are more willing to follow him, not because of his leadership abilities.
Why wouldn’t you want a woman backing you up in combat? Don’t equate an air battle to a ground battle – it’s not a matter of brawn, it’s brains. Yes, you do have to pull sustained Gs during close engagements, but those are rare in combat. Most of what we do requires a great deal of intelligence and quick thinking. If you’re saying that women can’t be good pilots because they’re not as intelligent as men…you need to step out of the dark ages.
There are some guys who just aren’t ever going to get used to women fighter pilots. Then there are guys like myself, who don’t care as long as they get the job done. The only time I’ve ever had problems with women flyers is when they either try too hard to prove themselves because they are a woman (trying to make a statement), or try to gain sympathy/pity because of it. The ones that just do there job and act like one of the guys are no problem.

Latest resources

Back