More on gas prices...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AeroBoy said:
The auto fuel taxes are collected for upkeep of the road infrastructure. The roads weren't paved, nor were the bridges and overpasses built, for free. And they need to be maintained, which costs lots of money. I am more than happy to pay the fuel taxes as long as the road are in good shape (i.e. no potholes that will swallow up my car). So it's not "free" money. If you're looking for free money, I suggest you contact Halliburton and ask how you too can get no-bid government contracts.

So with gas prices higher this summer than any previous summer, what happened to the roads in the last year to require such additional expenditure? The gubment is still getting a higher share with increased prices than the oil companies WHO PRODUCED THE PRODUCT!

AeroBoy said:
While this might be true, I can choose tap water (free) over a $1.50 Coke because buying a soft drink is optional. However, if I want to commute to work (and thus earn an income) I MUST purchase gasoline for my car. Like everyone else, I don't have any alternative. I can choose only to buy from one station or another station at pretty much the same price (give or take a few pennies per gallon). And at least Coke goes on sale at the grocery store every other week. I can't remember a gas station having a sale on gasoline, notwithstanding the PR radio gimmicks where they sell gas at the station's radio frequency for an hour or two. So comparing profit margins of a monopolistic industry with one that isn't doesn't wash--it's comparing apples with oranges.

Monopolistic industry? Nothing could be further from the truth, the oil industry is one of the most competitive. And there are many things you can do to reduce your consumption, but arguing that you MUST buy gas is no reason for having lower prices. I assume your position is something to the effect of 'the government should take over the oil industry because we need gas'. No thanks.

Smacktard said:
So with gas prices higher this summer than any previous summer, what happened to the roads in the last year to require such additional expenditure? The gubment is still getting a higher share with increased prices than the oil companies WHO PRODUCED THE PRODUCT!

Fuel taxes are based on a set amount per gallon--not a percentage of the sales price (see http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/motor_fl.html). That would mean the taxes collected per gallon of gas is the same whether fuel is $1 a gallon or $5 a gallon. In fact, as fuel prices go up, the government (state and federal alike) actually gets LESS money as a percentage of the sale. And if you think these taxes are too high, you need to go to European countries and see the fuel taxes they impose.

AeroBoy said:
Fuel taxes are based on a set amount per gallon--not a percentage of the sales price (see http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/motor_fl.html). That would mean the taxes collected per gallon of gas is the same whether fuel is $1 a gallon or $5 a gallon. In fact, as fuel prices go up, the government (state and federal alike) actually gets LESS money as a percentage of the sale. And if you think these taxes are too high, you need to go to European countries and see the fuel taxes they impose.

True, not at the pump, however, they are adjusted quarterly on wholesale price, so as that price is increasing, so too are the taxes...

"Tax rate is based on the average wholesale price and is adjusted quarterly"

Smacktard said:
Monopolistic industry? Nothing could be further from the truth, the oil industry is one of the most competitive.
WTF is OPEC then? Answer: a monopoly that sets the price of oil by controlling supply. The rest of the oil producing companies just go along for the ride and sell oil at the same price.

Smacktard said:
And there are many things you can do to reduce your consumption, but arguing that you MUST buy gas is no reason for having lower prices.

I never said that prices should be lowered because I must buy fuel. I was trying to make the point that buying Coke is optional, whereas buying fuel is not if I want to continue to earn an income. And I do everything I can to reduce fuel consumption--I find it amazing that I still get about 29 mpg (mix of city and highway) with my nearly 12-year-old car. Things would be a lot better if everyone drove cars that get at least 25 mpg--that would lower demand for fuel, which would in turn help lower the price per gallon.

Smacktard said:
I assume your position is something to the effect of 'the government should take over the oil industry because we need gas'. No thanks.
You know what happens when you ass-u-me. I never said that the government should regulate the oil industry. I'd appreciate if you would not put words in my mouth--or any of your appendiges for that matter.

Last edited:
Smacktard said:
Monopolistic industry? Nothing could be further from the truth, the oil industry is one of the most competitive. And there are many things you can do to reduce your consumption, but arguing that you MUST buy gas is no reason for having lower prices. I assume your position is something to the effect of 'the government should take over the oil industry because we need gas'. No thanks.

please please please please please tell me that you are not serious

Smacktard said:

the infastructure has been lacking in funding for decades. transportation budgets have been cut and turned to private industry to repair and construct the roads. the funding for highways depends per state, but it usually goes to a trust fund, just like social security. the problem is politicans have been forced to use that trust fund, just like ss, to fund other projects. this has happened because of the decline in industry and wages and the decline of tax on corporations and the super rich.

And how are oil companies getting a lower share of the profits? do you have anything even remotely considered evidence? Oh wait, what am I saying, here we have somebody who doesn't understand the whole concept of a cartel and its monopoly grip

Smacktard said:
Oh no, another lame response to 'The Evil Oil Industry'. Instead of repeating the incorrect emotional blathering you hear on the boob-tube, why not just dig a little to see what is really going on? Profit margins for Big Oil are less than most other industries, somewhere in the neighborhood of 8.5%. For those that don't understand that, for every dollar Big Oil spends to produce, they make about $0.08 cents. Or, for each gallon about $0.20 cents. Banks, tech industries are about double that, are they making excess profits too? You're just confused because the dollar amounts are so huge. Also take a look at the government's take, it's more than double what the oil industry makes. And note the key word there, makes, the goverment doesn't have to invest, produce, hire, create, manufacturer the gas/oil, they just reach in for the 'free' money. Here are a few links to get you on your way...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/27/AR2005102702399.html

http://txfx.net/2005/10/30/mommy-what-is-a-profit-margin/

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...ins&Symbol=XOM

actually profit margins are above 10%, but that isn't the argument. only a simpleton would fall for that.

the investment and banking industries are a major problem, but people dont hear it on the news so they don't grasp the situation. An oil company that makes a 10%+ profit margin to the tune of RECORD profits is using the still legal accounting tricks including claiming a loss on salary and bonuses paid to executives, including the 400 million given to the departing exxon/mobile CEO. Also, they tie up their would-be profits in new reserach and construction, again making profit margins appear less than they should be.

An industry like credit or banking does not have the high costs of oil exploration, transport, etc so what they make all needs to be counted as profits to be legal.

Please stop talking about something you do not grasp in even a high school level.

Oil companies are profiteering just like defense contractors and banking industries are. they get up infront of congress and whine and lobby for more tax breaks and then turn around and raise prices while posting record profit with no "supply and demand" curve to justify it? that is called PRICE FIXING and it is illegal. Look it up sometime, Einstein.

LJ-ABX said:
Some interesting facts regarding the oil industry...

The oil industry has a profit margin of about 3% on gasoline sales. i.e. You pay $10.00 at the pump and they make about 30¢ profit.

The oil industries overall profit margin is about double that for gasoline at around 7%. i.e. They sell $100 in petroleum products and they earn about $7 profit.

Coca-Cola earns a profit margin of over 20%.

your profit margins are wrong and nobody is more heavily subsidized like the oil industry.

OIL Supply is flat year over year for many reasons, one being approaching Peak Oil and then Nigeria, Gulf of Mexico, etc.

Demand is still rising.

Price has gone up to make sure there is no LACK OF SUPPLY. It's that simple.

No one is gouging.

There are also worries of supply disruptions like the coming war with Iran. The price of gas is where it should be.

There never will be a lack of supply. When oil passes peak and goes we use say 80 million barrels a day as a world instead of 84 million barrels a day, the price will be probably around $6.00/gallon and only people that can buy gas at $6.00/gallon will buy gas.

Simple supply and demand.

The oil companies are only guilty of one thing: Not fessing up that there is a serious supply problem developing so they can profit 10X more than they are now in a couple years. Their profits are only going to get higher after peak oil occurs.

Jet

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back