• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

daviator28621

I have another obscure question.

Describe the Ice protection available for the elevator horn leading edges

a. Bleed air
b. Heater elements to prevent Ice build up in the gap between the horns and the tips of the horizontal stabilizer
c. Conditioned air
d. none

I found reference for the elevator horn gap, but not the leading edges.
The leading edges of the stabilizers both vertical and horizontal use boots.

Thanks

a. Bleed air
b. Heater elements to prevent Ice build up in the gap between the horns and the tips of the horizontal stabilizer
c. Conditioned air
d. none

Thanks

B, it's anti-ice turned on at 10 degrees C

No....

The leading edges of the horizontal stab are de-iced by boots powered by 18 psi bleed air.

The "elevator horns" refers to the counter-wieghted outboard portion of the elevator that extends further into to horizontal stab than the elevator hinge points. This "horn" extends into the relative wind at airspeeds below 173 knots (IIRC) and since it is a small, relatively narrow surface, is a very efficient ice collector.

The horns are anti-iced, that is heated, by 115V variable A phase power. There is an on/off switch in the cockpit, but when the switch is on they do not come on until 10C OAT (15 in the 300? Can't remember and too lazy to look it up).

thank you very much for the explanation.

I searched the manuals, POH, even the internet.

I tried to find something that would show exactly what and where the horns were so I could common sense it.

Thanks again.

That was a tricky question since it never explained what elevator horns were. I guessed and figured it was the only part of the elevator that could act as a leading edge to pick up ice.

Heads up, you'll come across many of these tricky questions. They wouldn't be tricky if we knew what the training dept meant, but since some questions can be so poorly worded, we have to figure out what they want. It's not just in initial, we still get bad questions in CQ. At times it will also appear that 1 or more answer are correct, but you have to find the "most correct." Don't over annalyze the questions or you'll end up looking into a totally different aspect, with a different answer possibility, the trainig dept didn't intend on. Need any more help, just post it. Glad to see something productive coming from FI.

a. Bleed air
c. Conditioned air
d. none

Thanks

did they ever end up changing the wording on that PTU question?...it asked to describe it's function, but gave NO correct answers to choose from (not even a "most correct", as they were all just flat out wrong). when I brought this up, they recognized their error and said they were going to change that question, so watch out for it in case they didn't

Latest resources

Back