More 91K questions...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cosmotheassman

It is my understanding that your company cannot schedule you for more than 10 hours of flight time. It can be extended up to 12 for conditions beyond your control such as weather. Is this statement true??

Pretty much, ten hours is the flight time limit........I'll check the exact wording of the reg and get back to you.

Mr. I.

cosmotheassman said:
It is my understanding that your company cannot schedule you for more than 10 hours of flight time. It can be extended up to 12 for conditions beyond your control such as weather. Is this statement true??

Yeah, and during our last recurrent ground school, I asked our director of training which circumstances constitute "beyond our control". He responded: "weather, atc delays, passengers showing up late, yada yada ". So I sez, "uhhh....you mean basically any and all circumstances, right" ? And he says " Yep, pretty much ". I end the discussion by saying "thank you for the clarification, and how much more bull$hit do we have to listen to, before our eight hour recurrent boxes get checked " ? Needless to say, I am a real teacher's pet :)

Passengers

Passengers showing up late is NOT covered under the FAR and is not an exculsion to the 14 hour duty time rule. That's just the company CP trying to keep the crew online. At our company, flight support is made aware of our duty time limitations and it is their responsiblity to make sure the client is aware. One hour before block out and 1/2 hour after block in is the norm for total duty time. If we are called to the aiport earlier, or there is required paperwork that exceeds the back end, we line pilots log it, company be darned. Let them get away with it once and they'll walk all over you.

My company's policy is the same as aeronautics. There are some nebulous rules regarding extension of duty limits leading to extension of rest as well. I looked at the FAR and it seemed very clear a lawyer had gotten ahold of it(Not that I don't like lawyers).

Mr. I.

Slowto250, you're in fine company! My husband could also boast of being the teacher's (aka BB) "pet" at company Recurrent...:) Needless to say, BB was NOT amused.

Not sure if you asking about Netjets, but here is an answer. For 135 and 91K flights, we are limited to 10 hours in a 24 hour period (look back from rolling clock at planned completion of flight). For 91 flights we can go over 10 hours, only with mutual agreement of chief pilot and pilot.

10 hours is the limit for flight time. 14 hours is the limit for duty time, according to both the NJ FOM our current collective bargaining agreement. That being said, if BOTH the chief pilot and the crew agree, they can go over 14 hours of duty, as long as they don't exceed the 10 hours of flight time. This "over 14" would normally be in the case of commercial airlining, taking a taxi, extended ops on the ground (like dealing with passengers while waiting for a recovery flight if your plane broke down, etc). That being said, if you do go over 14 hours of duty, you will be compensated overtime pay ONLY if you are not flying. If you agree to fly an airplane and it will take you over 14 hours of DUTY time (not flight time), they you will NOT be compensated overtime, according to our contract. Most crews refuse to go over 14 unless they are sitting somewhere on the ground in a safe environment where fatigue would not be an issue.

Latest resources

Back