• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More 777 for DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
John Q, you make excellent points. You are right about NWA's network and revenue folks. But, I do not see how this pressures NWA management in any way. For one thing, we will likely share code as we do now.

Delta has a lot of Pacific route authority unused that they got with Pan Am.

Delta can get new hires with good attitudes without longevity, or pay more for DTW and his pals while getting a obsolete, inefficient and disparate fleet. It is less expensive to grow internally.

We were recently awarded authority to fly to Singapore, New Zealand, and Samoa. Australia also has started "open skies." We have supposedly "leased" a NRT slot to Fed Ex that we were initially using for JFK to NRT nonstop on the MD11. (that may have been the LAX to NRT slot before that, or PDX) We can probably get back into HKG (we used to fly MD11s from LAX), TPE, and BKK as well. (all previously flown). In Japan we served Nagoya and Fukuoka too. We just need the planes. And, we are flying currently to HKG quite often----flying 763s and 764s there for heavy MX.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Delta can get new hires with good attitudes without longevity, or pay more for DTW and his pals while getting a obsolete, inefficient and disparate fleet. It is less expensive to grow internally.

Hope they open the doors again soon then. Lots of 30 y/o mil guys are looking seriously at getting out but their window will close soon. And if they stay in, it's about a 18 mths wait until the next batch of pilots can get out due to extended initial training commitments.

I would assume that it could be a way to pressure NWA to a deal, but you never know what the financial types are up to. After all they are the ones who run this show.
As I get details I will post them....

Fins, old buddy please reread what I posted. I understand that there is some confusion there, but I never mentioned Management of NWA. I was referring to the pilots. More specifically the MEC. I am sure that many of these aircraft are or will be turned in to orders shortly. Either way DAL, or NWA/DAL we need the lift and efficiency.

Financial types being RA and CO. and to what lengths will they go to get the pilots on board this deal. Management does not want arbitration, and will go to great lengths to avoid it.

It is not meant as flame, but if you were trying to play hardball with the Deltoids and they put this order in, wouldn't you feel some pressure of a deal slipping or slipped away. I know I would. Knowing that we (DAL) could start to cherry pick cities in the Far East with these aircraft would make me worry just a little. Needless to say DAL has never been the predator, so I would like to see how this turns out.

Sssshhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell the NWA guys you have a massive order for 777s - they might actually regret how they completely dropped the ball on the potential merger with their crazy integration demands. They don't need to know that Delta can compete very effectively without NWA in its Pacific "backyard." Keep this quiet...

As a west coast guy ANY new pacific routes are great news and the prospect of such a huge order is incredibly good news for all of us at DAL. Newby question though: The "old" pacific routes out of PDX that apparently we still have the rights too...where do they fly too and would we have to operate them out of PDX or LAX? I remember DAL having a PDX pilot base, any chance of that re-opening with all these widebody's comming our way?

OYS,

Just curious what your hard on against NW pilots is? Your profile says furl. UAL and current global express pilot. Not sure where your constant bashing comes from. Did a NW pilot bang your wife? Did you get turned down by NW? Please fill us in as why you, a furloughed UAL pilot show so much interest here.

Sssshhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell the NWA guys you have a massive order for 777s - they might actually regret how they completely dropped the ball on the potential merger with their crazy integration demands. They don't need to know that Delta can compete very effectively without NWA in its Pacific "backyard." Keep this quiet...

The Delta website from Dec 2007 shows clearly a total of 39 777 aircraft on property, on order, optioned and rolling options. 45 is a very realistic potential number. Cherry picking routes is right. A NRT hub does have good value, but being able to cherry pick with efficient new aircraft and a reinvigorated brand with a superior domestic route network does have its advantages. I think NWA needs a Delta merger far more than Delta needs one, but both can and probably will still be viable worldwide airlines in either case, merger or not.

OYS,

Just curious what your hard on against NW pilots is? Your profile says furl. UAL and current global express pilot. Not sure where your constant bashing comes from. Did a NW pilot bang your wife? Did you get turned down by NW? Please fill us in as why you, a furloughed UAL pilot show so much interest here.

You're right dingbat, that must have been the situation - I must have been turned down by NWA or my wife must have dated a NWA pilot. Sure that's it.

Where to start? First, nobody can pay me to live in Siberia (MSP or DTW) and I don't want to commute. Second, my Global job probably pays better than a 744 PIC job at NWA. My UAL furlough was the best thing that ever happened to me. Third, I have a bunch of Delta buddies and I agree with their assessment of the situation which is that NWA was waaaay too greedy in their proposal. Their refusal to budge initially in a negotiation (which, by definition, requires some give and take) amazed me - it seemed very arrogant from my perspective - granted, I don't have all the facts but that was my perception. Now NWA pilots want to come back to the table - what has changed? You are now more realistic? Give me a break...

We all have opinions. I strongly feel that you NWA guys blew it and you should have negotiated in good faith vs. taking the hard line initially. There was a golden opportunity to reap tremendous economic benefits on both sides with upside for all. Instead, you guys held firm. Go enjoy your careers and let the chips fall where they may... Peace out.

You're right dingbat, that must have been the situation - I must have been turned down by NWA or my wife must have dated a NWA pilot. Sure that's it.

Where to start? First, nobody can pay me to live in Siberia (MSP or DTW) and I don't want to commute. Second, my Global job probably pays better than a 744 PIC job at NWA. My UAL furlough was the best thing that ever happened to me. Third, I have a bunch of Delta buddies and I agree with their assessment of the situation which is that NWA was waaaay too greedy in their proposal. Their refusal to budge initially in a negotiation (which, by definition, requires some give and take) amazed me - it seemed very arrogant from my perspective - granted, I don't have all the facts but that was my perception. Now NWA pilots want to come back to the table - what has changed? You are now more realistic? Give me a break...

We all have opinions. I strongly feel that you NWA guys blew it and you should have negotiated in good faith vs. taking the hard line initially. There was a golden opportunity to reap tremendous economic benefits on both sides with upside for all. Instead, you guys held firm. Go enjoy your careers and let the chips fall where they may... Peace out.

I assume you have all the facts to base your judgement off of? Or is it based on DAL theories? I ask because most of us haven't seen the "REAL" deal. I hope you dont gather your assumptions off of FI/ ;) Seriously the info i received from my union is opposite from what the DAL guys say they were told and no one knows what the real deal was unless they were in the meetings.

Latest resources

Back