Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Just wondering why High alt enroute charts would include MORA's(interview question)

What if the plane loses pressurization and you're off airway? You have to know if you can descend all the way to 10,000' or not. In mountainous areas, the mora may be higher. You'd do better to stay on an airway in mountainous areas should an engine fail or pressure loss happen. Then you know you can go to the MEA or even MOCA. It isn't always practical to stay on an airway, especially if a big storm is right in the way.

Or maybe you're flying in Nepal crusing on an airway at FL220 which is the MEA, but you'd like to deviate for a big TS. To the right is a grid MORA of 18,000 and to the left 28,000. Will you deviate off the airway left of the buildup, or right? (you're better off leaving this part out of your answer) Just my .02 shilling.

Last edited:
Min Off Route Alt

MORA has to do with the 1000 over non mountainous and 2000 over mountainous areas. This is not readily defined on NOAA charts. JEPPS does use this alternative.

Tim47SIP said:
MORA has to do with the 1000 over non mountainous and 2000 over mountainous areas. This is not readily defined on NOAA charts. JEPPS does use this alternative.
I understand that, but my question is why does Jepp have them on the high altitude charts? But I think that it has to do with oxygen, and the what happens if they need to get down fast.

Like ReportCanoa said, in some areas of the world the MORA is in the flight levels so it's important to know at what altitude it's safe to fly if you go off route. Many of these areas don't have radar coverage so you are on your own for terrain clearance. If you are on an airway and need to deviate for thunderstorms you need to know the MORA so that you will know that you won't hit a mountain. There are mountains in South America up in the twenty thousands of feet without radar coverage. This is also the case in the Himalayas. Up in Alaska, Mt. Mckinley (Denali), is up in the twentys as well though I'm assuming there is radar coverage up there. It's good to know what's below you even when you are up high.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back