• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

C-5 MEM

I was asked the question last night. W
When did the T-38's leave Moody AFB?
If anyone has some insight give me a shout.

I wasn't aware that they had. IIRC, they still operate T-38Cs for IFF.

C-5 MEM said:
I was asked the question last night. W
When did the T-38's leave Moody AFB?
If anyone has some insight give me a shout.

Are you sure the question wasn't "when WILL the T-38s leave Moody AFB?"

They are in the process of being BRAC'd. The plan is to divide up the IFF mission between the SUPT bases as well as the T-6s. I haven't heard of a timeline yet. I know we're getting hits from the IFF and T-6 reserve bros looking to get to CBM when the gates open.

Last edited:
It was back in late 1975, I think. The F-4's returned from 'Nam, and the base became a Tac Fighter Wing. It had been a training base for years prior to that. There used to be T-38's at Craig, Laredo, Big Spring, and probably a few others. Those bases got closed around 1972 (along with a bunch of others like Ellington (Houston) and Chennault (Lake Charles), etc...

In the latest incarnation of Moody as a pilot training base, there never were T-38s there for SUPT. There are about 69 T-38s there for IFF training.

The last incarnation of the BRAC plan I saw showed the T-38s *starting* to leave in Jan '07 and completing the moves out to the UPT bases in July '07. That plan has changed a number of times, and I'm certain will change again. The latest rumor I heard was possibly keeping the consolidated IFF program, but moving it to Cannon.

Mud Eagle said:
In the latest incarnation of Moody as a pilot training base, there never were T-38s there for SUPT. There are about 69 T-38s there for IFF training.

The last incarnation of the BRAC plan I saw showed the T-38s *starting* to leave in Jan '07 and completing the moves out to the UPT bases in July '07. That plan has changed a number of times, and I'm certain will change again. The latest rumor I heard was possibly keeping the consolidated IFF program, but moving it to Cannon.[/quote]

Heard the same thing along with moving PIT there too.

Mud Eagle said:
The latest rumor I heard was possibly keeping the consolidated IFF program, but moving it to Cannon.

Heard the same thing along with moving PIT there too.
Oh I hope the hell THAT isn't true...I'm not teaching PIT in Cannon...I'll go back to Del Rio first!

FastCargo

Moody was a UPT base from 1942 to 1975. I believe they had T-38's there from 1960ish to 1975. They were then a fighter base and once again became a UPT base in 1999-2000 timeframe with the T-6 II for Phase II UPT and T-38C for IFF.

Latest resources

Back