• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jetflyr

Hello my baby....
Dear Ifly4food,

I don't really participate all that much in these forums. I'm mostly a lurker. I use this board to gather information about the airline industry, about flight instructing, about new products, and I enjoy the airline humour. I particularly enjoy the diplomatic discussions (and sometimes, yes, arguments) that I find here.

However, your actions today against Skydiverdriver concern me greatly regarding your ability to be a fair moderator.

I'm going to throw a few thoughts out here for you to read. I'd appreciate a reply here, for all to see. I don't want any private messages from you... if I get any, I'll post them for everyone to see. This is only fair.

Before I begin, I want to preface these thoughts with this statement: I am not taking sides. I only seek to understand why you did what you did.

1. Why did you close SDD's thread entitled "RJDC Points and Counterpoints.... "?

2. On February 22, 2002, SDD did a cut and paste of the RJDC's current update. Why is that thread still active? Why did you not also close it, too?

3. Concerning #2: This thread has over 50 responses, 4 of which are yours. Why did you reply to this thread 4 times, but label the closed post (also a cut and paste of RJDC's current update ) as "propaganda" and "rhetoric"?

4. When you closed the thread, had you recently (within, say, 10-30 minutes) read SDD's reply in the other thread regarding your alleged "inconsistancies" and "cockpit decisions"? Did you close the other thread because you were angered by SDD's remarks in the open thread? (Your honesty here is appreciated.)

5. You wrote "I view your copy/paste from the RJDC the same as the advertising spam we get here. I should have erased it or moved it to "buying and selling" but I didn't." Why didn't you erase or move it?

6. Regarding #'s 4 & 5: You wrote "I should have erased it or moved it...." Which is it? Did you have trouble making this decision?

I had a few more questions about your closing of the thread, but my fingers couldn't keep up with my thoughts. I'll post them if and when I remember them.

Again, I want you to understand that I mean no disrespect. I only want to understand why--in your duties as a fair moderator--you closed SDD's two threads.

Regards,

JetFlyr

Another question

I thought of another one:

7. Regarding the post "High blood pressure and medical," why did you allow the back and forth bantering between Clownpilot and B-J-J Fighter--which degraded into absolutely nothing about aviation--to continue, yet you silence the RJDC thread which has everything to do with the future of the airline industry?

Jetflyr said:
1. Why did you close SDD's thread entitled "RJDC Points and Counterpoints.... "?

Because there were plenty of other RJDC posts to choose from, and if someone wants to read "points and counterpoints" they can go to the RJDC website.
Shall I allow the NRA and KKK or NAACP to paste propaganda here too as long as they mention an airplane?

2. On February 22, 2002, SDD did a cut and paste of the RJDC's current update. Why is that thread still active? Why did you not also close it, too?

I have no answer other than I didn't catch it before people had responded. Once they had responded, it didn't seem fair to close it. I do fly for a living. I volunteer my time here.

3. Concerning #2: This thread has over 50 responses, 4 of which are yours. Why did you reply to this thread 4 times, but label the closed post (also a cut and paste of RJDC's current update ) as "propaganda" and "rhetoric"?

See above

4. When you closed the thread, had you recently (within, say, 10-30 minutes) read SDD's reply in the other thread regarding your alleged "inconsistancies" and "cockpit decisions"? Did you close the other thread because you were angered by SDD's remarks in the open thread? (Your honesty here is appreciated.)

No. I read his other post afterwards. It was further down. Notice I did not "censor" SDD on that thread, even though he flamed me.

5. You wrote "I view your copy/paste from the RJDC the same as the advertising spam we get here. I should have erased it or moved it to "buying and selling" but I didn't." Why didn't you erase or move it?

Is that really important? Would it have made a difference? I doube it. I hadn't thought of it until later.

6. Regarding #'s 4 & 5: You wrote "I should have erased it or moved it...." Which is it? Did you have trouble making this decision?

See #'s 4 and 5. Hadn't thought of it yet.

7. Regarding the post "High blood pressure and medical," why did you allow the back and forth bantering between Clownpilot and B-J-J Fighter--which degraded into absolutely nothing about aviation--to continue, yet you silence the RJDC thread which has everything to do with the future of the airline industry?

I have a real job and don't spend every moment here. I volunteer my time; maybe 2 hrs per week. I can't get to everything. Also, my opinion of trouble and yours seem to differ. Again I didn't "silence the RJDC thread". It's still open. I just closed the 10,000th RJDC post when there was still plenty to discuss on the original thread.

Again, I want you to understand that I mean no disrespect. I only want to understand why--in your duties as a fair moderator--you closed SDD's two threads.

Regards,

JetFlyr

Yes you do. You're being very disrespectful, especially with question #6 and your poll. But I am not censoring you.

Jetflyr,

It's pretty easy to criticize, but If you don't like how the board is run, you could do a number of things:

1. leave the board
2. realize that the makers of this website can do with it what they want to (but in my opinion, they do a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** good job)
3. if you have a "problem" with a moderator, keep it in the private messages

I vote you choose either #1 or #2, or you could lighten up and continue to enjoy the board.

NoOneReally

Since when do moderators not have an opinion?? Remember, with the volume of activity on this site, closing some of these threads makes since as to not clutter with redundent posts. Take a look at PPRUNE and see how many threads are locked with only a post or two. I do not feel that he is utilizing his postion to change the outcome of a topic, but rather streamline the info. Just MHO for what it is worth.

Moderators are free to have an opinion, of course, but it seems that the opinion is keeping people from hearing the other side of the story.

IFF,
Do you really equate the rjdc with the KKK or the NRA? That seems a bit harsh. The rjdc is just guys like me, and we are not interested in lynching or burning crosses on anyone's lawn. We just want a fair shake by our union. Who knows, later on, when it's all over, you may just praise their actions as being the right ones all along. That is, if you can keep an open mind.

IFF,

Thank you for responding to my questions.

Shall I allow the NRA and KKK or NAACP to paste propaganda here too as long as they mention an airplane?
I see your point, but counter that if it involves aviation, then it should probably be on the board. I think the subject of the thread should indicate the topic of the message, and the readers can decide if it warrants their attention.

I must also add that the topic of the RJDC is more aviation related than any NRA, KKK, or NAACP article that merely "mentions" an airplane. RJDC is currently a very hotly contested topic, and whether you agree or disagree with it, it has the potential to change the face of the industry.

[/list]
I have no answer other than I didn't catch it before people had responded. Once they had responded, it didn't seem fair to close it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that what you've said is that you believe the writings of RJDC to be "rhetoric" and "propoganda," and that if you catch an RJDC update pasted on this forum before anyone has responded to it, then you're going to close the thread; if, however, the update generates discussion before you catch it, then you'll participate.

If this is, indeed, what you meant, then I think that's unfair.

Is that really important? Would it have made a difference?
If it wasn't really important nor would it have made a difference, then why did you write it in the first place?

Also, my opinion of trouble and yours seem to differ.
You can say that again! Apparently, you have no problem letting two members go back and forth at one another (over a period of days), but you won't allow SDD to post a second thread on the RJDC. Which thread do you think was more aviation-related?

Yes you do. You're being very disrespectful, especially with question #6 and your poll. But I am not censoring you.

You're right. I was taking a swing at you with question #6. I let my feelings get the best of me and for that, I offer an apology. However, I do not believe the poll is unwarranted. This item ties into what NoOneReally suggested about keeping my problems with a moderator in the private messages:

If there is a real problem with a moderator, then keeping it in private messages will not get the problem solved. Perhaps I should have initially confronted IFF with a private message. Would he have reopened the thread? I don't know if moderators even have that capability. I doubt IFF would have reopened it. If IFF is abusing his privilege as moderator, then these actions warrant discussion where everyone can see, not swept into a private message.

I like the idea of a "hands off" moderator so long as a thread is identifed with a subject line. Let the readers choose what they want to see.

Latest resources

Back