Missing Plane in Nevada - Please Help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
flyinlow67 said:
Do Super Cubs have ELT's? That is some rough area out there. Hope they find them.
I'm not very familiar with plane that don't have an electrical system, but I think it's still required. I think ELT must be there is you want to fly a certain distance from the airport.

A SuperCub would be my first choice for an off-airport landing. I've flown over that area a bunch and there are plenty of places to land safely, especially around Elko. Let's hope for the best.

To those who posted genuine, helpful, and heartfelt replies: thanks -- your support is helpful. No more news on the aforementioned aircraft, but if I get any, I will post it.

davetz

I found this in the Las Vegas Review Journal this morning...

[FONT=verdana,arial]Wreckage of plane found [/FONT]

JARBIDGE -- The wreckage of a small plane missing since a California man and his daughter took off in it from Jackpot on Aug. 31 was found Wednesday on a rugged mountain in the wilderness of northeast Nevada.

The two victims in the wreckage have not been positively identified but are believed to be the pilot, Roy Grossman, 55, and his daughter, Claire, 17, of Napa, Calif., a sheriff's deputy said.

Two deer hunters on horseback contacted authorities on Wednesday after they spotted the wreckage near Divide Peak at an elevation of about 10,000 feet in the Jarbidge Wilderness Area of Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest.

jeez. at least maybe the family can get some closure now :(

pilotmiketx said:
Suck. At least it was found quickly. Unlike that Learjet that took years to find.

That can be a real heartbreaker when they never find the wreckage.

Ten years ago I was working part time as a CFI, and full time in a QC lab at a milk & ice cream plant. The dairy had hired some contract engineers as part of an upgrade/remodel of the computer control system for the plant, and one of those engineers was working on his private pilots license. Of course we talked quite a bit during breaks about aviation, and he was really excited about his flying. I helped him out getting ready for his written, and gave him some help with what to look for in the maneuvers for the practical test. He was very happy when he got his license, and was really proud to show me the temporary cert.

A few months later he took his father and uncle flying and they disappeared. The wreckage has never been found. It's like a burr under the saddle for me, and I wish there was some closure, but it is possible there never will be any. They disappeared in the rough terrain of the northern Washington Cascade mountains. I thought that maybe when there were some extensive fires through the area in years past they might find the wreckage, but so far nothing. It's been ten years. Maybe someday, maybe not.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001207X04592&key=1

HAL

HAL said:
That can be a real heartbreaker when they never find the wreckage.
Back when I was in high school, the parents of a friend of mine went down somewhere in the mountains of California. They have never been found, it's been 40 years. It has been a real heart breaker.

'Sled

see, this is amazing to me that these airplanes can go missing for so long. you'd think that somehow, someone just MIGHT happen to look down in the specific spot at a specific time and notice a wing. so sad. i cannot even imagine.

Latest resources

Back