Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UND84

Hello,
On a missed approach, what is the required climb gradient? Look on a Jepp chart and you have your missed approach instructions but no climb gradient. I looked in the AIM and it says 200 per nm unless otherwise stated on the chart? Do they mean you should look at the ODP climb gradient or would they post it right in the missed approach instructions? thanks!

In Australia - which uses ICAO's 'Pans Ops' - it's 2.5% unless otherwise noted. It's specified in the preamble to all the plates and not on the plate itself. Is it not the same in the USA with TERPS?

Last edited:
UND84 said:
Hello,
On a missed approach, what is the required climb gradient? Look on a Jepp chart and you have your missed approach instructions but no climb gradient. I looked in the AIM and it says 200 per nm unless otherwise stated on the chart? Do they mean you should look at the ODP climb gradient or would they post it right in the missed approach instructions? thanks!

200'/NM. The clearance plane starts at your MDA/DH at the Arrival End of the runway. Thats why you end up with some really high MDA/DH in mountainous areas or some really messed up missed approach procedures.

I personnally have never seen a plate that specifies otherwise, but I am sure there is one out there.

Still going to UND? If so, smack CLAU for me!

Latest resources

Back