Minority Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
marcal said:
Maybe my question should have been.....have any people that are not minorities but members of OBAP gotten an interview after joining?

If I understand what you are asking, if you join OBAP and now can put it on your resume will you get an interview?, maybe. But if you get an interview being an OBAP could hurt you and even more so if you are not black. What I mean by that is there are companies that are HUGE supporters of OBAP that come to the conventions that are not even hiring, United always has a representative present and this year Northwest was the host of this years convention, one in bankruptcy one on the verge so obviously niether is hiring just there to support the organization and its goals. Alaska is always there if they are in hiring mode or not the first convention I went to in Seattle a few years ago Alaska was the host but they were not hiring, you get the point. Here is where it could hurt you UPS is one of the biggest supporters as well as FedEx and Southwest and recently Jetblue, if you are a white male and get an interview with one of these company's and you have OBAP on your resume and all you have done is showed up at the convention went to the Airline seminar and floated a few resume's it could be something you may have to deal with in an interview. In the get to know you portion of the interview you will probably asked about OBAP and how you have participated. At last years convention I believe it was aero service, gave away two type ratings, out of those that applied they were not given to the one with the most flight time or most experienced or most qualified they were awarded specifically to those that gave thier time to the organization. Could you imagine how you or I would be looked upon at a Women in Aviation convention dropping resume's and doing nothing else to support the organization. It probably would not go over well to a company that spends lots of time and money giving with these groups and seem to either be offended when think someone is useing these groups. Dont get me wrong this happens to all of us, just someone who is not black is suspect from the start, but if you talk about doing ACE camps, Pilots in schools or something of the such, it scores good points. Go to the web site and look at the newsletter and go to some of the regions (northwest, southeast...)page and you will see what the group is about and how some of our members talk about how upset it makes them to see other members use the organization for thier on personal use and never put anything back and most of our members are black so imagine if you did it. But again I'm not saying any of this to dicourage you from joining just trying to answer your question as I understand it., this is the same thing I say to all would be members in hope of getting people that want to support our goals. If you do join 1st round on me, I like Bud Light.

One of the guys I know from my former airline joined OBAP (he's a white guy) and put that on his CAL application. He was called for an interview very shortly thereafter. It's kind of funny, on the day of the interview, he was the only white guy there. He did get hired though!

ForgedBlade said:
One of the guys I know from my former airline joined OBAP (he's a white guy) and put that on his CAL application. He was called for an interview very shortly thereafter. It's kind of funny, on the day of the interview, he was the only white guy there. He did get hired though!

That is funny because usually it's the other way around, at least when I interview I'm the only black guy.

I'd love to be in a position to control hiring some day. I would want NO reference to race or sex. Everyone would be just a number and on the interview day, I would discover the rest. Qualifications and attitude would be primary.

E170Guppykiller said:
My or your sexual preference should have no bearing on getting hired.

My exact point when it was really prevelant 25 to 30 years ago, but apparantly the [dark] color of one's skin back then did make a difference is the reason why OBAP came along.

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would surely agree. I could care less what someone's color or race is, as long as they can do the job!

Latest resources

Back