• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Minnesota area warbirds

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
5 deg right rud. trim is sort of a gospel item with the -28. It's a short final item a before start item and a double checker after landing. With it rolled in then a takeoff is fairly normal unless you're doing full on static takeoffs. Which is just hard on things. The C models and later (maybe the B as well, I can't remember at present) actually had 5 more degrees of rudder trim available on the right vs. left. So it is a valuable item. I would say that during normal operations that using the correct rudder trim makes the takeoff only require right rudder enough to make you remember that you should be using it. It remains pretty light.

I use less rudder in the -28 than in the T-6. That airplane has less than half the horsepower but is a rudder hog. Especially if you get a little happy pushing it onto the mains during the takeoff.

Yip, I love talking to guys around the airports I go to that soloed these things with just about 0 time. What a ride. Dead easy to fly but it does have fairly sophisticated systems and is just dam big for a first airplane.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks to all of you for your replies.
I'll pm soon for some contact info at Rockford and South St. Paul.
The airplane won't be available to us for a month or so, so we'll start our learning curve....

Which model is it that you and the gang are getting?

Doh...I'm not sure and he is out of the country for now....what is the NATA?
I searched and got the natl. athletic trainers assn....

Thanks

Yeah, be prepared to be completely underwhelmed by their website, but there is a lot of good information in print available from NATA. The monthly magazine is full of good stuff and I would highly recommend finding some back issues (I wouldn't hesitate to go back 20 years) for some information that I would consider absolutely essential for T-28 operators. You'll have to sift through a lot of stuff for T-6s and others, but it's worth it. You can search back issues for T-28 articles and just pick the ones you want.

North American Trainer's Ass'n

http://www.northamericantrainer.org

Pick up everything that you can; maintenance manuals, NATOPS manuals, etc. NATOPS will give you almost all of the accepted operating guidelines. It's geared for C models so you'll have to interpret what's best for your application but it's a great start.

Last edited:
Walter Fricke owns a T-28 at Crystal.
There is a guy at Anoka that has his own T-28 and conducts training.

No real organization. There is the American Wings Air Museum at Anoka, that has a number of owner displayed aircraft.

Any news on the new airplane?

Hey, hello again.
It is a T-28, due up here in a couple months. Undergoing inspection down in Texas, I think. We are going to go somewhere for a couple days of instruction in it...the new owner is low time, so needs me for insurance for awhile. Nice....I guess we may be flying it to Oshkosh this summer, hear it is a real racer, very slick.

Which model T-28 is it? There is a very knowledgeable T-28 guy in Dallas whose name escapes me at this point. He is also an examiner so can do the type rating if its not an "A" model (which requires no type).

Keep us posted on your progress.

Latest resources

Back