Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mainah said:
You're wife might like Stillwater

...oh yea, what wife dosent like sightseeing along the walls of a prison, should be fun :p

If you are into drinking and eating go to the First Avenue and Second Avenue part of downtown Minneapolis (near the Target Center) lots of cool non-chain type pubs, bars and restaurants. There are also chain type places, ie Hard Rock Cafe, Fridays, and if your wife is really cool there are some nice "gentlemen clubs".

As mentioned above "the uptown" area is nice. This is south-southwest of downtown a bit and the center part of it is the intersection of Lake Street and Hennepin Avenue. This is also within walking distance of Lake Harriet and Lake Calhoun as mentioned above. This area is the more "trendy" area with the younger crowd (lots of piercings and tatoos) but there are alot of good restaurants. Famous Daves as mentioned above is right at the intersection of the above mentioned streets in Calhoun Square. And Chinolatinos ia also very good, took my wife on our first date there. If you Take I35 north and get off at the Lake St exit that area is not the best but as you drive west twords Hennipin Avenue it improves until you are in uptown. Enjoy

Avoid the Mall. You won't see any stores there that you can't find in other malls. Plus it's full of people from Iowa. :)

cl-65link

Ahh, contrair! Many, many stores at the M O A that are not at other venues, plus bars, restaurants, amusement park, movie theaters and much more. Too be sure, there are people there from Iowa, but there are also people there from Canada, Japan, and quite frankly, from all over the globe. The "people watching" alone, can be a great spectator sport for an afternoon. There are a lot of beautiful women to gaze upon (and some ugly ones too). If all one has is an afternoon to kill, being so close to the airport gets you a lot in one concentrated area, that you'd burn up all your time traveling to and from, to find other venues.

MOA

Just don't let her find the stamping store, or you'll never get out of there!

I've never understood that hobby -- $10 for a one square inch stamp!

Re: Mall of America. Very few people who actually live in the Twin Cities shop there. It's for tourists. The amusment park is not a "store".

Lived here my whole life. Brothers and sisters also. We ALL shop at MOA, as well as anyone at all I personally know in MSP. Where did you ge your data?

Last time I was there, some guy held up everyone on one of the rides because they couldn't get the bar down over his shoulders. He had to walk down the ramp in front of everyone, then sit and watch his friends and family finish the ride. I felt like an idiot....ahhh...I mean I'm sure he felt like an idiot.

I second Jarhead. I'm from MN as well and I shop at MOA for all my Xmas stuff. Lived within 10 minutes of it for 5 years while I was still a resident and have visited at least twice every year since. I run into lots of people I know when I'm there. So, I'm not sure what "tourists" you all speak of. Of course, there are a bunch of tourists there, but that's not all it's for. MN just doesn't have the tourists to support it. Lots of stores are there that aren't in other parts of MN (Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomie's, Rainforest Care, used to be Fat Tuesday, Oshman's). That place brought Minneapolis into contempo USA.

For bars, visit Billy's on Grand in St. Paul, Gluek's on 1st Av in Minneapolis (they play the Rouser there around midnight for all you Gopher fans - you can tell where everyone is from down there from the whole bar singing the song and clapping) for HUGE beers. For the really not-so-faint of heart, visit Gasthof zur Gemutlichkeit in NE Minnie on University Av. That's a big-group place, though. Bavarian-style German restaurant and polka bar that gets absolutely drunken and crazy by midnight. Been there three times and remember leaving once. The girls wear leiderhosen, serve beer in boots and steins, serve snuse after dinner (they actually do all this stuff in Munich, too - seen it), sing disgusting songs with the accordian guy, and lead "ziggy zoggy" chants and others with all the patrons. Fun stuff. I suggest it anytime. That's true MN fare, right there.

Fun state, if you just get to know it. Many dismiss it as a cold tundra in the middle of nowhere. Not true. I moved out just as I was learning it. Moved to Florida. A lot LESS going on, actually, despite all the festivities. I'd move back in a heartbeat. The warm weather has nothing on the character of an Upper Midwest metropolis.

Have fun.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back