Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RockBass14

Not getting any responses on the military board, so i'll try here;

Curious to know how one starts the application process to get on with an Air National guard wing for a pilot position. I'm within close proximity to Battle Creek (A-10 Base) and Selfridge ANG (F-16 and C130s). Do I send a resume somewhere? pick up an application? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Patrick

Gotta Rush

I never flew with the Guard (other members on this board will probably help you out better), but I started the process only to find out I was too old after flying with the Navy. That being said, you gotta rush them like a fraternity. Go to ang.mil websites and find contact numbers. Call and see when their drill weekends are and go for a visit. Go to airshows at the fields and meet the guys. They want to pick up pilots that will fit in. You've got to network, network, network.

According to BRAC...

Battle Creek's 15 A-10s are moving to Selfridge, along with 3 from Willow Run, PA.

The Vipers and Hercs currently at Selfridge are going away, to be replaced with 8 KC-135s from the AFRES unit at Selfridge and 4 from Beale AFB. If you are keeping score at home, post-BRAC Selfridge will have 18 A-10s and 12 KC-135s. Of course, this all depends on the final BRAC list submitted to the President.

My suggestion would be look on Baseops for posted UPT openings you might be interested in, and call every unit you are interested in regardless if they have an opening posted or not. Knowing pilots within the unit who can vouch for you is a big plus. I'd say call the unit recruiters, tell them what you are hoping for, and see if you can come in and speak with them and maybe some pilots, chief pilot(s), OPS officers, etc. Its always good to put a face with a name on a resume and get a repore with those making decisions.

As far as my situation...I sent a resume for UPT and got a call saying I probably wasn't competitive since I wasn't local, but they were actively looking for Navs and wanted to know if I was interested. I said sure, if thats the only way I can come in, so I went and interviewed for a UNT opening during a drill weeekend. I had two pilots latch onto me and give me a tour before the interview, and they told me to blow off the nav thing and tell them I only wanted to be a pilot, because "They are pilots and know how pilots think - they won't be offended". I couldn't be that forward, but told them in the interview I wanted to be a pilot, always had, but if the only way I could join the unit was as a Nav I would do that and prove my worth to the unit, hoping to have the opportunity to become a pilot in the not-too-distant future. They asked me why I wanted to join their unit, and I told them "I looked at Baseops for openings, and looked for places I thought I could be happy living, which immedately excluded the west coast or northeast". The next Tuesday I got the congratulations call, with my recruiter saying "Oh yeah, by the way, they decided to bring you in as a pilot based upon your qualifications". Needless to say, I was shocked, but very happy. A few months later BRAC wants our airplanes, so we'll see what happens with that come September 8th.

Best of luck on your search!

Last edited:
Yo,

I am currently searching for a coveted UPT slot too. If you really want to get selected, especially by a FW, enlist, enlist, enlist. I have interviewed sveral times and did well, but at each board I participated in they selected enlisted guys from inside that unit who had loads of flight hours/ratings and college degrees. BTW I am not prior enlisted, and I can tell you that EACH one of my friends who was prior enlisted has been selected by now, and one guy is in his first week of UPT at Sheppard. I still have a few to go and Im looking forward to them but they really really lean towards guys in their units, and the politics are also pretty thick too... networking is your friend... good luck!

Go to Baseops.net, but also look and the Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve web sites. Find all the information you can about the bases you want to be located at. Then find out all you can about the squadrons. Then network your but off. The best way to start if you don't already have a contact, is get the number for the chief pilot and make an appointment to meet with him, just like you would any potential employer, and then pick his brain. They can give you the skinny on hiring. Be prepared to leave a damn good first impression as well. Don't give up if he does not sound all that positive. It may take some time, but it will be worth it.

Also... Make your package as shiny as possible. If you're still in college make sure your GPA is watertight and do especially well on the AFOQT, I see you already have flight hours so you're good there.

I am a *total amateur* but at my interview(s) I was told they decided to call me because of my college GPA, AFOQT scores, flight hours, and I had a very professional package with good letters of reccommendation.

Like phrogboy said, first impressions are valuable. Be on your best behavior and be very professional and straightforward. And learn a little about military courtesy too... say sir and maam to everyone and be especially courteous to all senior officers. Good luck!

Battle Creek website

Rock bass, here is a link to the Battle Creek Site. http://www.mibatt.ang.af.mil/battlecreek/index.htm
Click on the recruiting link. Be advised that this BRAC is different than any past one and could end up significantly different than when it started. There have already been some additions and saves from the original list. Hard to say if we are going to move or not. We'll see.

Latest resources

Back