Military vs Civilian Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I flew fighters....

But I can land a 727 or an MD11 with a wing low techique, and I can land a tailwheel plane if the (gulp) wind isn't too unreasonable.

Ain't whatcha did. Its whatcha did LATELY. Live in the now...

But Rez...get over it. I've landed big jets from Almaty to Newark, and from Osaka to Penang to SFO. You gotta have your stuff together, but it ain't that hard. I don't really want to hear my fighter buddies go "blah blah blah" about a tracking kill at a Red Flag 15 years ago, but then again hearing someone who's been into PHL 1000 times give sh*t to a new guy who has done it five times and misses a radio call is tiresome too.

Better subjects to discuss are beer, girls, and favorite airplanes. Politics, union schisms, and mil/civ BS make for a miserable cockpit.

Alaskan Amber, Mississippi girls, and Navions are high on my list. What's on yours?

I'm gonna go grab an Alaskan Amber from the fridge right now. One of the nicest and coolest characters I ever flew with at my airline flew F-4s in Vietnam and I've flown with several other fighter guys who were first rate guys and pilots. From my perspective, I can't think of a military guy I've flown with that I didn't like.

Last edited:
Hey WAIT!

The best pilots were military..ARMY....enlisted NCO's... 11B's.....tough taskmasters, no fancy call signs or girlie ascots...tough as nails...get the job done and everyone goes home alive types......but I am being ABSOLUTELY unbiased here....really :)

I flew fighters....

But I can land a 727 or an MD11 with a wing low techique, and I can land a tailwheel plane if the (gulp) wind isn't too unreasonable.

Ain't whatcha did. Its whatcha did LATELY. Live in the now...

But Rez...get over it. I've landed big jets from Almaty to Newark, and from Osaka to Penang to SFO. You gotta have your stuff together, but it ain't that hard. I don't really want to hear my fighter buddies go "blah blah blah" about a tracking kill at a Red Flag 15 years ago, but then again hearing someone who's been into PHL 1000 times give sh*t to a new guy who has done it five times and misses a radio call is tiresome too.

Better subjects to discuss are beer, girls, and favorite airplanes. Politics, union schisms, and mil/civ BS make for a miserable cockpit.

Alaskan Amber, Mississippi girls, and Navions are high on my list. What's on yours?

I wish more people thought like this guy!;) Cheers Albie!

On on FI would someone make such a comment. This FNG could be a guy with 150 carrier traps in a FA-18, this could be a guy who made NVG landing on unimproved strips in a combat zone at night in a C-130, or F-16 pilot who makes 9 in-flight refuelings to complete a mission. Yes the FNG may not know what push back is, but that is no indication of his skill.

A thread like this is only fun if you can get someone's goat. Thanks for taking it seriously. Oh wait...you see that was sarcasm, I mean you shouldn't take it seriously...ahh nevermind.

Latest resources

Back