military to corporate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

T-1flyer

I'm separating from the military in the near future and had a few questions about corporate flying. I was noticing that almost all of the posts on corporate flying are by pilots with stictly civilian backgrounds. Do corporate flight departments avoid pilots with military backgrounds? If they do, why?
Most of the guys I know fly for majors but they don't seem to enjoy the flying. I have not talked to many corporate pilots but the few I talked to seem to enjoy it. Any inputs or insight would be appreciated.

T-1flyer said:
I was noticing that almost all of the posts on corporate flying are by pilots with stictly civilian backgrounds. Do corporate flight departments avoid pilots with military backgrounds?

My experience has been that many corporate departments seek out military pilots. They are a known quantity (any service spends at least a million dollars building a pilot) and military flight records accurately reflect the pilot's flight experience. In my last company 28 out of 31 pilots were former military pilots. In my present organization 60% of the pilots are military trained. It's beneficial to come out of Andrews; your brothers that have gone before you help to smooth the transition into the corporate world with job referrals. You cannot overestimate the importance of networking in the corporate world.

Military to Corporate

I concur with the G-5 pilot you shouldn't have any problems. Look at most of the Directors of Aviation at the Fortune 100 Companies. Most of them are ex-mil types. I didn't have much of a problem. The concern that Chief Pilots might have is that you are just parking yourself until the Majors call. If your goal is the Majors try and get into a Guard unit somewhere, get on with a regional and rack up the 121 time. It all depends on what you want long term. Good luck:D

Latest resources

Back