• Watchers 12

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well Taz

Why are you on the Fractional board if you are a shoe in at Southwest?

Chill out man.

You aren't applying for Top Gun. You are appling for F.O.!

When I interviewed I was ask what aircraft I wanted?

Like a military guy I said "whatever the company needs me in". They said, "no pick one".

I said "OK" BBJ. They all laughed and said "Youre not gonna get the BBJ".

I said, "Then why did you ask"? They laughed at that as well.

I have great respect for Navy "Carrier" pilots, It's gotta take big balls to land on a carrier at night!

I can only relate to "Hedge Hopping" behind a gaggle of Apaches on NVG's. That takes balls too.

I also have great respect for guys that flew night cargo in crap weather while paying back the horrendous student loans they got while paying for their ratings. That kind off commitment takes balls too.

I also respect those people that got their time as CFI's teaching brand knew no time rookie bozo's how to fly. (You guessed it, takes balls and patience)

So, I guess I'm saying check the attitude at the door, and realize that everybody paid some dues.

I hope you succeed, looking at your credentials I would love to swap stories with you out on the line.

Also realize, you carreer path doesn't a reflect customer service backround. (You do probably have alot of experience "Servicing" a target!!!, not the same)

Work on that aspect, youre clearly qualified in the flying arena.

Good group of pilots here. They all have great career stories, I feel like I have heard it all.

Good luck.

What Semore said!!!!! It's not what you have when you get the job. Everyone has strong areas and those that need work. It's how you fill the voids that makes the difference. There's room for all backgrounds.

Last edited:
FlyLow 22,

I feel ike I am wasting my time..so probably I am. Maybe it is just that personality you are referring to which attracts major companies like Fed-Ex, UPS, and Southwest. A few of my friends that are recent hires at SW said the CEO stated he wants a fighter pilot in every cockpit. Its guys like you that will never understand the type of flying we do, nor fathom the experiences we have had. Its a comment like you have made that makes me want to keep flying fighters so I don't have to get out and make $65K a year sitting next to an *********************************** like yourself that is going to take pop shots at former military aviators. Guys like yourself wet yourself at the thought of pulling 9G's or dropping a GBU-38 that killed X number of bad guys which saved the lifes of our young men on the ground.

Tom "Taz" Yeager
F/A-18 Aggressor

Taz,

First off: A sincere THANK YOU for your service. I already told Semore Butts he doesn't buy his own beer in my presence. (Especially if it's Stag.;) ) That goes for all the veterans I am with. I mean that.

Secondly, I'm not sure you understand what fractional flying is like. Perhaps Semore can explain it better? He's done both types of flying.

If you come to an interview at NetJets, remember to leave the grunt in you at the squadron and put on your best smile. Be charming!

Good words

Fellas,

Thanks for all of the advice and great comments. Let me tell you that I have the utmost respect for all aviators in the military and the civilian sector. I am the furthest from having an attitude or an ego; flylow must've hit a nerve on a bad night. I'm sure I'd have no problem sitting down at the bar with him and swapping stories. OK, enough said!

I visit this forum to get insight about what flying in the civilian sector is all about. To be truthful, in a few years I am very discouraged to apply anywhere with all of the un-happiness I read about. Maybe I will stay in past 20 or try to find a contracting job...then again maybe the whole industry will have changed in a few years.

I apologize if I offended any fellow aviators. We just lost a young kid here at Fallon NAS last Friday in an F/A-18; two days prior to Father's Day and a Dad. The comment from flylow about interviewing and the "war is over"....and a few others...well, as I said hit a nerve.

Cheers, Taz

It's all good man.

Sorry about your buddy. That sucks.

If I can give you some advice? The airlines are INCREDIBLY volatile right now. I would steer clear.

It seems the only place with some REAL job security right now is cargo, fractionals, and military.

I can't help you with cargo or military, but if you want my advice for getting on a frac send me a PM. I'll spend some time with you on the phone. Anything for a U.S. Soldier.:beer:

Latest resources

Back