Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

k3mbbc

Hooked on SWA
I just finished attending the Transition Assistance Seminar at my base and left there with a big question on my mind regarding health care.

It seems that Tricare Prime is a great deal for retirees. My question is....if you are a retiree and fly for the airlines, is it worthwhile to buy into the company health care as well as Tricare? Do they tend to compliment each other?

Appreciate any insight.

I just finished attending the Transition Assistance Seminar at my base and left there with a big question on my mind regarding health care.

It seems that Tricare Prime is a great deal for retirees. My question is....if you are a retiree and fly for the airlines, is it worthwhile to buy into the company health care as well as Tricare? Do they tend to compliment each other?

Appreciate any insight.

I'm a Tricare Prime enrollee. But I also live in a big military town. It has been really great for us. Prior to being purged from the AA rolls and retiring I was offered their active and retired medical "bennies". It was way too expensive when laid out next to Tricare so I declined. It's been a good move for us.

Here are 2 things to consider.
1. Availability of Tricare providers in your area. Usually lot's of them in a big military town. Rare in small towns/communities. Check their website.
2. Tricare is cheap now ($460 for a family plan per year), but it is going to double if not triple in the coming years.

As to buying into the company and Tricare at the same time - I would recommend weighing the monthly/annual premium costs. I did it for a short while and wound up relying almost totally on Tricare and giving up on AA plans. I didn't feel like I gained that much by having 2 health plans, and in many cases it just got confusing. Tricare is cheap right now. Why not try them both out for a year and see if it fits for you.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

Last edited:
I retired in 2000 and paid into Tri-Care Prime. While I agree it is a great deal, it can also be somewhat limiting in your choice of providers. Tri-Care standard (which costs $0.00) requires a greater co-pay, but has a much larger network. I jettisoned Prime after 1 1/2 years.

I do participate in FedEx's "Prime" plan ($100ish per month). I then file with Tri-Care as my secondary insurance. You're probably aware, but Tri-Care is always your secondary insurance (unless it's your ONLY insurance) as directed by Federal Law.

I live in the Denver area and this combo works well for my family. Other folks may have differing opinions (and I'm sure they'll let us know!).

Stand-by for the "Why isn't this thread on the Military page..." comments. ;)

I retired in 2000 and paid into Tri-Care Prime. While I agree it is a great deal, it can also be somewhat limiting in your choice of providers. Tri-Care standard (which costs $0.00) requires a greater co-pay, but has a much larger network. I jettisoned Prime after 1 1/2 years.

I do participate in FedEx's "Prime" plan ($100ish per month). I then file with Tri-Care as my secondary insurance. You're probably aware, but Tri-Care is always your secondary insurance (unless it's your ONLY insurance) as directed by Federal Law.

I live in the Denver area and this combo works well for my family. Other folks may have differing opinions (and I'm sure they'll let us know!).

Stand-by for the "Why isn't this thread on the Military page..." comments. ;)

GATORS rock!!

I live in Austin and use Tricare Extra along with a supplement from the Military Officers Association. I don't think there are any GPs in Austin who are Tricare participants, so at my GP I have to pay up front and then file twice, once for Tricare, and then once for the supplement. In the fullness of time I get most of my money back.

I've used hospitals a few times over the years and I've rarely paid much of anything out of pocket, all the hospitals I've dealt with will file both Tricare and then the supplement.

Drugs are a great deal, very cheap, drive through Walgreen's to pick them up.

I'm self-employed now, but in the past ten years I've worked on a W-2 in some software startups that had medical. I always continued to pay on my Tricare supplemental because in the software business employment is always very uncertain. You never know if your company, let alone your job, is going to be there when you show up for work.

Now that I'm on my own Tricare is a Godsend.

I've been retired for almost 4 years. Even when in the military my family saw the Flight Doc onbase and we did tricare STD for other treatment downtown when needed. Now that I'm retired, we stayed with the Tricare STD. First it cost $0 so far to enroll and will still be $0 next year. There is a $150 individual/$300 family deductable (I think) and then Tricare STD (formally champus) pays 80% of the allowable charges. Then you pay the remaining 20%.

If you live in an area where there are lots of DRs that accept tricare for will file for you, it take away almost all of the paperwork. Since they all know what Tricare will pay, you pay your 20% and that's it (after meeting deductable) as they write off any portion that is above the allowable charge. An additional advantage is that you can go out of network if you desire and then pay the bill and file it yourself with Tricare. You also have lots of options to chose from in the way of doctors and you don't have to wait for the base or your primary care phy. to write you a referral. Just go. Sometimes choice is worth any additional cost you may incur. (plus it keeps the wife happy!)

If you don't live near a military base, Tricare STD may be you only option as there may not be may Tricare doctors around.

If you do Tricare Prime, you are "suppose" to be the same as a dependant of an active duty Prime participant. You most like know the good/bad of that so no need to discuss that.

As for you company insurance, you will just have to compare the facts and benefits. Hey, maybe you can get the company insurance for the same cost of a Tricare Sup or Tricare Prime enrollment fee, then file with the company insurance and then file any unpaid balance with Tricare STD (Tricare requires you to file with other full medical insurance companies first).

As for me, I just do Tricare STD with no supplement policy. Just pay the deductable and 20% copay.

Good luck with your decision

Just my opinon..... Good Luck

FNG

Last edited:
Wow! You guys actually have transition offices? I thought that was some AFN propoganda. You guys actually get to retire?

Hell, the Army has us stop-lossed since 2001, and if they do let you retire, they just say good luck, get lossed, and don't ask for any help.

Yours truly,

Mr. Third year away, losing $50K each year and wanting to retire.

Geaux Tigers!

BIG ONE this weekend!

Glad it's in the Swamp!!:)
GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!
Oh yeah...almost forgot. Tricare Prime is a good deal and cheap if you have providers in your area. Tricare standard is still a pretty good deal if prime doesn't work in your area. If you and your family stay pretty healthy Standard can be really cheap but still provide great coverage for catastrophic cases. You will have to compare the costs up front vs the 80/20 split without the up front costs (and deductible). When furloughed Tricare was a Godsend. Much cheaper than COBRA and actually affordable. There's a lot of good info on line at the Tricare site.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back