military pilots "hot dogging"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rjl2001

Thought I'd share a news article I read about military pilots being too wreckless.
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050508182709990005
They talk about different accidents caused by the pilot showing off to someone. They even talk about how the military frowns on the movie "Top Gun" because it showcases that wreckless attitude of flying. Also, how the Army is taking this into account when considering what manuevers should be taught to its new helicopter pilots.

Obviously, you shouldn't take unnecessary risks anytime you're flying, but I still think they're blowing it out of proportion. I'm also hesistant to really believe everything they're reporting, as it could be a little biased as far as I know. To me it is still human error, just a different kind. Seems like there are probably more important issues involving pilot error induced misshaps then worrying about pilots who are showing off. Plus, I realize the majority of pilots have the competitive type of personality more likely to try and show off, so that's probably just inevitable.

The primary difference in aviation between 1988 and 2005 is the preponderance of 8mm and compact VHS camcorders. What used to be "he said/I heard out..." has now become "take a look at this..."

I never was an show off, but if I wanted to be one I would not try it these days with the huge numbers of cameras (and the internet) out there...

Yeah, that article gave me the beak a little bit, too. We've all met guys who have done stupid stuff, sometimes intentionally and sometimes not. However, the idea that there are a bunch of thrill seeking "flying on the edge" yahoos out there simply isn't true (in any service).

That being said, this chopper pilot in question should get the book thrown at him. I also thought we should've crucified the Marine pilot several years ago for cutting the gondola wire in Italy. When guys knowingly and intentionally violate a rule and bad $hit happens, we have to be the ones that step up and police our own. If we don't, someone else will do it for us.

I also thought we should've crucified the Marine pilot several years ago for cutting the gondola wire in Italy.
Yeah the guy who was flying a routine MTR with an undepicted tram system on the charts? Snow covered terrain provides almost as good vertical cues as flying over water. Did I mention that their Rad Alt was griped on previous flights? Don't believe everything you read in the media. That was a witch hunt, plain and simple. Thankfully the court ruled in their favor as well.

MAGNUM!! said:
I also thought we should've crucified the Marine pilot several years ago for cutting the gondola wire in Italy.

what do you know about it. tight **s mo fo :)

Last edited:
I know the tapes disappeared, and I've spent enough time at 300' AGL and 500 KIAS to know you know when you're too f'in low. At any rate, I don't want to debate a past incident. The point is if someone is knowingly and intentionally breaking the rules, he should get zero sympathy if he f**** up. Disagree?

Latest resources

Back