Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NavinRJohnson

Registered Gorer
I've been on Mil Leave for just over a month now, and looks like I dropped from CASS.

Does this happen for all pilots on mil leave, or just CAL?

Missed a flight because of it and couldn't by a Zed fare in time. Steaming mad right now...

The Navin

Jump Seat

I've been on Mil Leave for just over a month now, and looks like I dropped from CASS.

Missed a flight because of it and couldn't by a Zed fare in time. Steaming mad right now...

The Navin

When you are not an active pilot you are not eligable for the jump seat.

The Navin

No worky no jumpseaty

My first post! I've been reading FI daily for quite some time, but never took the time/interest in posting.
But this one caught my eye -- I work for U.S. Air (west) -- went out on MIL leave 1 Oct 08-- AND remained in CASS. I think it is company specific, but at U.S. Airways, when a pilot goes out on mil leave, they keep their I.D. and remain in CASS. I worked at CENTCOM in Tampa w/ tons of mil guys/gals taking leave from airlines. Some, not all, were in CASS. Had 2 bosses, both O6/colonels -- one from Jet Blue -- no CASS; one from U.S. Air (west) -- CASS approved. Big help. Check w/ your C.P. office or union J/S coordinator. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
My first post! I've been reading FI daily for quite some time, but never took the time/interest in posting.
But this one caught my eye -- I work for U.S. Air (west) -- went out on MIL leave 1 Oct 08-- AND remained in CASS. I think it is company specific, but at U.S. Airways, when a pilot goes out on mil leave, they keep their I.D. and remain in CASS. I worked at CENTCOM in Tampa w/ tons of mil guys/gals taking leave from airlines. Some, not all, were in CASS. Had 2 bosses, both O6/colonels -- one from Jet Blue -- no CASS; one from U.S. Air (west) -- CASS approved. Big help. Check w/ your C.P. office or union J/S coordinator. Hope this helps.

100% correct!

My second post!!! Not sure if this will help, or not, but -- In regard to the CASS/JS issue, My Jet Blue/O6 boss at CENTCOM applied for j/s a lot. He had his JB I.D. but no CASS authorization. He was always approved and granted a ride, provided a seat was available in the back of the plane, and he occupied that seat. If all pax seats filled, he could not sit on j/s due to not being in CASS. So bottom line -- you might not need to buy a ZED fare ticket, you may be cleared, with your airline I.D., but just not for the cockpit j/s. Another note -- most airlines "clear" non-revs/ZED fare pax prior to j/s riders. So if one pax seat is available, and the gate agent has one non-rev and one non-CASS J/S rider, the non-rev (even OAL) pax will probably get the seat. Good to have a non-rev/ZED ticket w/ you, but you may not have to use it....
Good luck!

The Navin

You should have been able to ride in a cabin seat without CASS.

Latest resources

Back