• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Military Flight Physicals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flying Class III individuals (other than boom operators and individuals required to perform scanner duties) have no standard for depth perception/stereopsis IAW AFI48-123. I can't comment on the FAA's exact reasoning, although the areas of most concern to the military are aerial refueling and formation flying, both of which are uncommon in civil aviation. The FAA is willing to certify airmen with no depth perception, in fact, they don't mind if you are monocular. For a discussion of the FAA standards on depth perception, see the following link: http://www.faa.gov/avr/aam/Game/Version_2/03amemanual/WEB/Chapter 3/3.31-34.htm

If hired by a Guard Unit, do they do the FCI physical themselves, or have you go somewhere to have it done. Also, I understand that the Guard must comply with Air Force regulations, but I understand the Guard gives a little more "leeway" as far as waivers and such go; such as failing the depth perception test, but being allowed to come back and take it again the next day, as opposed to a DQ. Is this true?

Others on here are vastly more qualified to answer, but...

In my limited experience, each Guard unit will do the physical at the unit. If you bust something (like DP), you will more than likely be offered the opportunity to retest during the next drill weekend. It would seem to me that a Guard unit that wants you will try everything within their power to get you qualified, whereas active duty has a stack of resumes waiting for your spot in line.

I think all UPT candidates have to go to Brooks AFB for another physical right before training begins. If I'm wrong, somebody will correct me.

I you guys have any questions about what is going on at Brooks now let me know. I just had my FC1 there last month.

As far as the DP tests, 2 of the guys that I went there with had problems with it. They retested these guys 2 or 3 more times. 8 out of 15 of us had some sort of problem that had to be retested. The people there were very cool about it and didn't seem like they were just there to eliminate us.

OK, so just happened to be reading the Navy's pub for flight physical info and all that the other day. From looking at it, it says that Naval Flight Officer's are not required to be tested for depth perception. Naval Flight Officer includes RIO/WSO jobs as far as I know. So anyways I'm stoked, normally wouldn't have considered the USN, but if I can be a Nav for them that would be awesome. Not to mention at least having a chance of flying in fighters.
Too bad the USAF doesn't have the same standards for their Navigators.
Now I wonder if I would need a tech degree and lots of civilian hours to be competitive for a NFO slot?

Here's some more advice that's probably worth what you're paying for it, rj, but what the heck.

Ref that DP circle-donuts test; the five circles where you have to pick the one closest: I also had some initial problems with it. Two pieces of gouge that helped me;

Go with your first inclination; when your eyes hit the scope, they do tend to pick out that closer donut, even if its subliminal. Resist the urge to second guess yourself and change answers. Go with that first impression It's like the SAT, nine times out of 10 you had the right answer the first time.

I had some success with off-angle viewing; instead of burying your forehead so deep into the eyescope that it leaves marks, back off a bit, even an inch or two from the eyepiece. Relax, take another look from a right or left angle at about an inch away and then try again. It seemed to help me.

The Army offered an alternative test as a last resort but it wasn't much better. ..and remember, DocBuzz notwithstanding, the Flight Surgeon is NOT your friend. Never forget that and never drop your guard. Don't volunteer anything. The most innocuous piece of information can balloon and needlessly become a DNF offense that will take weeks to sort out with the stroke of his pen...

The people giving this test are usually an E-3 or E-4. Be REALLY nice to these people, they may be the difference between passing and failing the test. I moved my head up and down. I noticed that one ring moved different from the others in its row when I did this.

viper548 said:
The people giving this test are usually an E-3 or E-4. Be REALLY nice to these people, they may be the difference between passing and failing the test.

Bingo! I didn't know how to take the test way back when I first applied and the tech gave me a "second chance." Thankfully, now that I know what I'm looking for I dont need that but they know the test is bogus and will help you out as such.

BoilerUP said:
I busted the depth perception test during my Class I Flight Physical for the Guard. I just had blood drawn and got a bit light headed, so I think that might have played a factor. Doc checked my eyes and said "I see no reason why you would have failed this test today, I guess it just wasn't your day." I had to come back the next UTA to do it again when they advised me they had somehow lost my blood sample and I would have to have it drawn again. I insisted on having the depth perception test first and I passed it although I didn't smoke it like I did at MEPS for an AF OTS medical the year before. A buddy failed his DP test at Indy MEPS a month later, but passed it with flying colors at Grissom ARB a few weeks beyond that.

USMCAirWinger - wish I had seen that post back in Febuary. Thanks!
It certainly helps to take your physical at a bast like Grissom. The Guard and Reserve generally let everyone pass with "flying colors". Just wait for the real physical at The Puzzle Palace in San Antonio. That's where they separate the men from the boys (so to speak) and you get to watch your heart valves go flip-flop on the ultra-sound. Good times.

Latest resources

Back