Military fighter to Regional

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAnnabee

I notice that most regionals require a few hundred hours, on average, of multi engine time. I am a military pilot with mostly single engine fighter jet time. Will be leaving with about 2000TT, 1500 Turbine, 1200 Turbine PIC and just enough multi engint to get me the rating. Also an ATP and a B737 type-rating. Will these get me a regional job?
Thanks.

So you're saying that I can get an

interview without meeting the EXACT mins if I have some higher than average qualifications in other areas??

it all depends on who you're interviewing with, what their policies are, and the interviewer's recommendations. hard to give you a concrete answer, such as "Yes, your times are good enough to get an interview," or, "no, go out and get some multi time."
all you can do is send the resumes out, and find out for yourself in a few weeks/months, depending again, on who you are sending your stuff to.
in the past, some airlines have hired people with less than their 'published' minimums.. other airlines are strict.

Sure give it a shot.

I'd recommend looking into the guard. A tanker slot will offer lots of heavy multi and flight time right now plus the possibility of livable pay and then you could use it to supplment your regional pay when you get on with an airline.

Don’t discount the fracs or corporate either, with that type of background if we were hiring I know for a fact that our CP would give you an interview in a heartbeat.

He’s not even military himself, he just believes much the same thing I do that the level of training you guys receive is par none… and hell, anyone who can survive Harrier 1000+ hrs in a Harrier has to be good!

Half our guys/gals are former military/active reserve and most were hired with less than 4000 TT into the right seat of a G-IV.

LA

:)

With 1200 turbine PIC, even single engine, you meet Delta's mins. (Were they hiring).

http://www.delta.com/inside/employment/pilot/

Notice no mention of multiengine time anywhere therein.

You should have no problem getting an interview at any regional currently hiring, nor at most mainline carriers once they resume hiring (whenever that might be).

You should probably get the FEX written out of the way, tho.

Last edited:
You are military, so they will look at your time differently than they would some CFI or freightdog (I was both, so keep your flames to yourselves). You should not have any problem getting a job. My question is why don't you go to SWA (you have the B737 type, right?) or JB? You shouldn't have to go to a regional with you military fighter experience.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back