Military award question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

falcon20driver

I know I can't be the only former enlisted jarhead with this problem, at least I hope not. :)

I was an enlisted USMC electronic countermeasures tech in the early '90s, have a question about an award I have. Had an "A" uniform inspection while I was in Iwakuni Japan in '91 with the Blacksheep as part of the first night attack Harrier deployment, my workcenter Sgt. told me I was supposed to have a Navy Unit Commendation ribbon for the inspection, didn't ask any questions, just went to the PX and got one. I don't remember what it was for, it's on my DD214. Anyone know how to find out what an award was for? It may have been for being part of the first Harrier night attack deployment.

I never deployed to the desert for shield or storm. I sure would like to be able to explain why I got the award if the question came up in a job interview.

Any VMA-214 Blacksheep out there from '91 and '92 that can confirm the award?

Thanks.

Last edited:
My unit got the Outstanding Unit Award with Valor. For the life of me, I can't figure out why we got the V.

Thanks for the link Caveman, I realize why the award is given to a unit, but what I am trying to find out is what action it was that my unit did to receive the award. I am not even sure which unit that I was in received the award, my primary MOS was an avionics technician in MALS 13, but I deployed with the Blacksheep to MALS 12 in '91.

Do you have a link to a site that shows what units or squadrons received which awards?

Thanks again.

Semper Fi

You would have to go to the Awards Branch at HQMC to find the exact reason. It would have been given in the MCBUL 1650 that annouced the award. These are available on Marinelink under ALMARs (www.usmc.mil) but they only go back to 1994 or 1995, which doesn't help you.

Alternately, you could go back to the squadron directly. They have to have a copy of the unit citation in their records and should be able to provide a quick read or E-mail distillation for you.

But, I really don't think you need to bother. It is highly unlikely you will be asked, and if they do ask, the explanation is that it is a unit award that was given for exceptionally meritorious organizational performance. You were a member of the unit during that time, and rate wearing the award.

Latest resources

Back