• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest To Talk Merger With AirTran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you've never flown Midwest, it is the only good airline out there. They treat there customers right and provide an excellent product. They've won numerous awards and are by far the best domestic airline. There pilot group isn't treated nearly as well as they should be but they don't belly-ache and they do there job without b$tching. They take care of their responsibility.

Save the Cookie!

Right, because that's what Midwest tells you. Last I checked, people don't go online to see what airline won an award and then buy a ticket. Also, I didn't quit Skyway partly because they understaffed their wholly-owned regional and cancelled a ton of flights as a result. And Midwest never does fuel stops in the 80 to make it to the west coast with a full plane, or block a ton of seats so they can make it without a stop. It will even happen going to Florida if they need a lot of alternate fuel. That's good service culture right there. Good to see Midwest never does anything wrong. At least that's what you were told to believe. Feel free to make up your own mind anytime.

Face the real facts. AirTran knocked, Midwest said no, then failed to produce the big numbers they said they would. Midwest had a chance to do it, and failed big time. Combined, the airlines look really good on paper. I'd like to see the non-shareholder 'Save the Cookie' BS to sit down and stfu. This is business folks, not some sentimental attachment to a frickin' cookie.

skyway was understaffed because the majority of the new FO's within the last 2 years at midwest came from skyway.

as far as fuel stops, its a matter of business. the customers do not seem to mind as you put it, since they only see $$$$. most customers ride on a midwest 717 and would be willing to pay a little extra for it, that should tell our revenue managers something (ie don't conduct a massive faresale last year selling 2Q tickets this year to lower our yield).

i love how 1Q in peoples minds here determines a "failed" plan. we'll see what happens in the future. i would hope if we get bought it is by air tran and not northwest. the idea of spending an eternity on reserve in MSP waiting to flow back to compass does not sound too appetizing.

my prediction: air tran extends on 8/10 the offer and ups the price a little.

Last edited:
You're right about the FO's CL. But do you realize how much that cost Midwest? Each Skyway pilot (assuming jet capt. here) caused FIVE training events. What do FIVE training events cost? I've always heard ten grand per event, but once again, just a ballpark. So that's 50 grand. A guy from Eagle or elsewhere would only cost ten grand. So they spent an additional 40 let's say, just to get a Skyway guy. If I'm off on cost, don't beat me up about it, four times more expensive is good enough.

So Midwest spent more money than they needed to on training. On top of that, the two (same) companies never talked about how many to take from Skyway and when. At two companies that are so terribly small that can't get 50 planes staffed right is inexcusable. They sent Skyway guys to Midwest and had Skyway cancel flights. At a time when everything needed to be perfect to make tons of money, prove everyone wrong, and keep Airtran away.

Fuel stops are bad customer service and are a result of consistantly not buying the correct airplane. Midwest should be so lucky anybody wants them with a fleet of out-of-production airplanes. I'm sure (joking here) Boeing and Airbus don't want an order, as it would be the kiss of death to the type ordered. Five (soon to four) fleet types is a heck of a way to serve 50 destinations.

Cl, it's not what is happening, it's how it's happening. It's not that the 'Plan' isn't working, you guys are making money. The problem is everyone sees a bunch of money to be made right now and Midwest can't seem to make what they said they would. If Airtran went away, how much would the stock really be worth? 6-7. Airtran offers a quick buck and an easy out at 15 or so. Take it and work to make a great merger.

I was on the j/s from LGA to MKE last week. The a/c was about 40min late. After we boarded and went to taxi we then found out that we were about number 45 for takeoff. During the excruciating slow taxi all westbound departures were stopped. We sat on the ground for about 3 or 4 hours(I lost count but it was a long time). The capt continuously checked on the pax and they were doing fine. We finally got into MKE where everyone knew they missed their connections and I was shocked. I would say 86 of the 88 pax were still happy. In fact they were thanking the crew for doing a good job, keeping them informed, "getting us here", etc etc. Midwests customers love them and its because of the service. Its ashame the people who fly MidEx are not the ones who own them. Or Us I guess since I work here now. Keep forgetting that with all this time I have off.

Heyas,

I wouldn't be surprised to see NWA make a bid for Midwest, if for no other reason to drive the price up. They could almost offer an all cash deal after the profit in the last quarter.

As Gordon Gekko once said: "Never get emotional about stock", and it seems like Joey Leonard has a serious bug up his tail about MEH. NWA could run up the price just for sh!ts and giggles.

Despite it's decrepit state, NWA can still wreak a LOT of havok in the industry, and an injured animal is usually when it's most vicious.

Nu

Northwest doesn't have a choice. If the MEH deal falls through, then I'm sure we'll just scoop up as many gates as possible in that fancy new Indy terminal that should be completed soon. One way or another, Joe's got his mind set on competing in the midwest market.

I beleive all gates at the new IND terminal are spoken for. How many does AT have assigned? I think NW has 10 already.

I beleive all gates at the new IND terminal are spoken for.

That's possible. It's been a few months since I heard anything about IND, but when I was in indoc, it was mentioned as a possible alternative. There were several other options mentioned, also. Basically, Joe will find a way to squeeze AAI into the midwest market. I suspect that the MEH deal will go through without any interference from NWA, but if not, then some other alternative will be used.

How many does AT have assigned?

Can't remember. I know we have several, but I don't know the exact number.

yes the 400 pilots at midwest are the "staffing solution" at northwest! :)

What is really the issue is who the shareholders and BOD will want as their corporate parent if they see a buyout/ merger as unavoidable. I'm guessing NW is one of the other interested partners and they'll take NW due to the established MKE market presence and "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". I'm speculating that would probably be the pilots choice as well, if for no other reason than ALPA merger policy.

What is really the issue is who the shareholders and BOD will want as their corporate parent if they see a buyout/ merger as unavoidable. I'm guessing NW is one of the other interested partners and they'll take NW due to the established MKE market presence and "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". I'm speculating that would probably be the pilots choice as well, if for no other reason than ALPA merger policy.

not this pilots choice, i do not have shiny-new-787 syndrome. :)

Latest resources

Back