• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

midwest is dead

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lose 125 pilots,,,no big deal,,,lose 240, its "catostrophic" because there job is in jeopardy,,,,

Thats my take on this whole thing as well. I wasn't around for the 01 furlough, however after being here for three years I didn't see squat being said about the first 35 guys to get the can earlier this summer. T

No. Nobody gets rid of that many airplanes just to get those payrates. Those 717's are going back to Boeing and won't be coming back. I don't think Boeing will just keep them around until Midwest gets concessions. All this move does is secures Republic's spot as Delta feed once the merger gets approved. Midwest will be disposed of shortly after that announcement.

Actually the point is the 170/190 series is more "efficient" than the 717 while carrying the same load. Thats the talking point now from Howell Ave.

Funny how ALGT makes money with fuel guzzlers. At least TPG was smart to not sell the competition aircraft. So we got that going for us......

CL,
I really think the boys and girls at AAI need to take a good look at what is happening at Midwest. This could be you in a few months. cya

We'll be fine as long as Jet A is closer to $3 a gallon than $4 a gallon. Yeah, we might sell a few airplanes here and there for cash, but our management does have a plan past 2009.

Fornaro predicted this situation last year when discussing why Midwest needed the merger. He said Midwest had a weak business model and was very susceptible to a low cost carrier attack from an Airtran, Jetblue, or Southwest. Unfortunately for Midwest, the low cost carrier attack this summer happened at the same time Jet A prices spiked.

The battles we have fought with Delta over the last 10 years have made us a stronger airline. Good competition forces companies to get stronger, be bought out, or die. Unfortunately, Midwest is getting hung out to dry by Northwest/Delta during their merger process even after they have done their job of blocking an Airtran MKE hub.

Funny how ALGT makes money with fuel guzzlers. At least TPG was smart to not sell the competition aircraft. So we got that going for us......

Remember though, ALGT's business model is direct flights with spotty frequency to out of the way airports. Imagine is they tried three a day to DSM-LAS. Not to get way off base, but I'm impressed how well ALGT has been able to do. Most people choose when they want to travel. ALGT more or less chooses for you, if you want direct and cheap.

It doesn't really matter what happens at Midwest now CL. There's no way these guys can sign payrates that low to fly that airplane. I can't imagine being a 9/80 captain for 20 years and taking a paycut to fly an RJ. If they do, may they forever hang their heads in shame.

Remember though, ALGT's business model is direct flights with spotty frequency to out of the way airports. Imagine is they tried three a day to DSM-LAS. Not to get way off base, but I'm impressed how well ALGT has been able to do. Most people choose when they want to travel. ALGT more or less chooses for you, if you want direct and cheap.

It doesn't really matter what happens at Midwest now CL. There's no way these guys can sign payrates that low to fly that airplane. I can't imagine being a 9/80 captain for 20 years and taking a paycut to fly an RJ. If they do, may they forever hang their heads in shame.

The senior fellas who spent 6 mos in the right seat and 19 years in the left will go, "resume? whats a resume?"

I am sure they will sell their soul for saving their butts. It's a very real possibility that ALPA will be decertified at Midwest with only our top 100 senior pilots as the active ones. It is they who never really wanted ALPA here in the first place.

Latest resources

Back