• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

midwest is dead

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think NWA would consider 16 aircraft to be "a great deal of them on the market", with a DC-9 replacement in mind. Guessing NWA would need those 16 and all AirTrans 717's to match the number of DC-9's they have now.

...and possibly a bunch of 170s and 175s to pick up the slack. Now where would those come from? Delta and NWA are mergering to CONSOLIDATE. Who said they want anywhere near the amount of airplanes they have now?

Minimaniac, nice thoughts. I have no doubt that the professional pilot group at Midwest will ever think about pointing the finger at your group. Midwest was doomed the day TPG got the keys. This will probably be the last temporary move before Midwest is gone. Expect these airplanes to be repainted early next year.

Remember that Midwest neede this deal to happen. They have no cash. Period! Midwest has no money an no one will lend it to them. TPG is already involved and I think its a risky proposition for RAH to give them cash. Remember that no loan is secured in this enviornment. Most of Midwest's assets are leased including the Mx hanger and most of their aircraft.

This is a move that management hopes will force the pilots to accept lower pay rates. If Midwest is around in a year and a half, I would be surprised. I think it will be a "come to work and the doors are closed situation."

It's not the Republic guys fault at all. I wish our (lack of) management had half the vision that theirs does. It's over, time to shut it down... 8

I am sure that there are caveats for RAH, with all the 50 seaters the new DAL/NWA wants to park, this is the way RAH gets a seat at the table for future flying with a much bigger possible return. It also sounds like MEH is paying way too much for the a/c to operate.

Airtran has a way of getting other airlines to spend money. A lot of good it is doing us right now I suppose.

Anyway, the only carriers in the US that have 717s are Airtran and Hawiian. There are some European companies also like Spanair and a company in Bangkok that also come up when I search for pics of 717s. I think the 16 717s will probably go to Europe with the US dollar so weak. Our CEO at Airtran has a bug up his a$$ about having a certain dollar amount in the bank. I don't know if he will stray from his plan no matter how cheap the 717s go for.

I think NWA getting 717s is a bad move on their part, but hey it is just another example of airlines spending money. There are better airplanes out their, just not as cheap.

Remember that Midwest neede this deal to happen. They have no cash. Period! Midwest has no money an no one will lend it to them.

Oh, they have cash. Loads of it. TPG just isn't going to avail Midwest to much of it. In TPG's eyes this new money is good money chasing bad.

not at all the same. Air Wiskey was being cut from united, so they had to go somewhere to get work.

With all do respect, that seems to me that that is what Republic is doing at a lesser scale. Of course they are not losing all their flying, but they lost a bit with F9 and still don't have homes for those aircraft. They have 4 E170s parked in PIT painted in F9 colors. I'm sure they have leases on those and need some revenue to help pay for them. Either way, it sounds like in a perfect world (from the CEO standpoint) they will be able to get rid of those leases to Midwest and not have to worry about trying to find flying for those aircraft. If the Midwest pilots don't come to an agreement, it sounds like it will be a possible long term contract for those airplanes. Again, in a perfect world and Midwest continues to operate. Just my $0.02.

"Our CEO at Airtran has a bug up his a$$ about having a certain dollar amount in the bank. I don't know if he will stray from his plan no matter how cheap the 717s go for."

They are Boeing Capital Corporation aircraft. It would not take money out of Airtrans pockets. But, the money from the sale of 737s would go into Airtrans pockets.
They could do leases that end about the time the “NEW 737” start rolling off the line then start replacing all the 717s. Meanwhile we sale 15 more 737s for around 60 mill total over 09. Then in 2010 we start taking the rest of the 737-700 order and in 2013/2014 we are the launch customer for the 737 replacement.

Guys Delta just created a new regional feed out of Milwaukee just like that! Midwest Connect will soon become Delta connect out of Milwaukee flying E-170 aircraft! If Midwest is able to get their own certificate flying E-170s, then they will still become only a Delta connection flying out of MKE! The only reason they are keeping 9 717s is to transition without a total melt down from within. Once the merger is done, those 9 717s will be retired and Midwest will become the new Delta connection with either Republic flying the airplanes or Midwest pilots flying the airplanes. Question, why are the Midwest pilots even letting this go to the end of the month. It is time to strike now and go down fighting!

Latest resources

Back