• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest Air Warns On Profit, Cites Weak Fares

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Citation.. You are correct about working for a small company being nice.. However, the MEH guys need to realize that this is the airline industry. Working for a small company ultimatly means losing your job.. With the exception of Alaska Airlines, find me 1 small airline that has been around for 30+ years that hasn't been bought out or gone bankrupt. You won't find one. In the airlines, for the most part, the strength lies with the size of the company. AAI realizes this. This merger is going to add stability to both AAI and MEH employees. Trust me, if MEH is going to merge, you want to merge with AAI.. SWA, NWA, AA, and any of the others won't be nearly as nice when it comes to integration. I belive the AAI guys know this as well. If AAI doesn't grow we could very easily be the target of a hotile takeover as well.. If we add MEH and MKE to our company, the likelyhood of a takeover will be much smaller..

Don't worry about MEH being a base for the new company, it will be. There is no way your going to have 200+ departures a day out of MEH and not have a base. You can't get that many pilots and f/a's back and forth to ATL without creating a logistical nightmare, especially with the lack of gate space in ATL.. He!!, I wouldn't be suprised to see a Kansas City base down the road either..

Just so everyone knows.. I believe we should staple the MEH guys to the bottom, that way I can upgrade... haha, just kidding for those of you with no sense of humor..

If/when the acquisition/merger goes through, I'd then like to see us add Frontier.

The only markets left are really the international routes (Mexico, Caribbean, Canada). Going head-to-head on domestic over-served routes isn't going to do anyone any good...

*duck* INCOMING!!! ;)

there is no guarantee MKE will be a domicile in the future versus 100% with the status quo, that is one thing. your company has stated rj's for MKE, BOS, and MCI which further feeds this paranoia of having to goto ATL for work.

I don't think the RJ thing is going to happen, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. This pilot group seems smart enough not to allow mass outsourcing to RJ feeders. I don't see any set of circumstances that would result in the closing of the MKE domicile. In fact, I expect it will get much bigger with the adding of 737s for some left-coast flying.

a lot people simply like it being a small company and knowing everyone. they take great pride in the product they deliver and fear change.

I know, but as gt1900 pointed out, you're never going to last for any period of time as a small company. If it isn't AirTran, then someone else will eventually come along. Midwest won't be left alone by the rest of the majors forever. A merger is inevitable. The question is really whether you'd like to merge with a pilot group that will do things equitably, or would you rather end up taking it in the AAss by the APA when American decides that having an LCC just to the north of ORD isn't good for them and swallows you up?

whats the big deal about bidding a 737?

Actually, I agree with you on that. They'll have to drag me kicking and screaming out of the 717. Those 5-hour legs to Seattle just don't do it for me.

...The question is really whether you'd like to merge with a pilot group that will do things equitably, or would you rather end up taking it in the AAss by the APA when American decides that having an LCC just to the north of ORD isn't good for them and swallows you up?

well, speaking selfishly, i am on the bottom over here. i'll be on the bottom at the new integrated list so i am not expecting much for me. no need to tell me all about AA, i flown with a lot of TWA guys at eagle.

its way above my pay grade anyways. i've had my last job interview, hopefully.

the senior md80 guys simply have a great life. they are home every night in MKE. if you enjoyed that, would you want to give it up?

well, speaking selfishly, i am on the bottom over here. i'll be on the bottom at the new integrated list so i am not expecting much for me.

Same here. You and I are both on the same spot of our respective seniority lists, so it won't make much of a difference to either of us. It can't get much lower than number last. :)

The Midwest guys would probably be a lot happier if they knew that the AirTran pilot group is not what they might be worrying about. . . . . most guys here have been through multiple airlines, and have been through the merger/furlough/growth/stagnation cycle. . . . Most are a pretty easy-going guys who are not looking to reap some windfall from this thing.

I think its not the Airtran guys that the Midex guys are worried about, its the Airtran management style that most people are worried about.

To be honest, we are spoiled here, the stuff SOME (not all) of the senior Captains get away with is unbelievable.

I do have few friends at the tranny that came from the same regional I came from, top notch guys, I am sure every airlines have their share of God gift to aviation kinda guys, Thank God for Flica, I usually just bid away from their lines or use some sick time, no need for a stressful 3 or 4 day trip.

We could benefit from having the collective experience of the MEH group, just like they can benefit from our history of growth and expansion. We need to work together to leverage management, not be tools to be used against one another. In the end, we'll be one group, so let's work together to our mutual benefit.

Well said Ty, I totally agree

You will actually find that a big % of the Midex guys are super great guys that are willing to work with anything, you just won't find these guys in the top of our seniority list. Some of the top dogs are simply to selfish to be thinking about anything but themselfs.

One things for certain...if AAI doesn't purchase Midwest Express, the big dogs like Northwest will finish them once and for all like Antonio Montana on a busy work day.

If/when the acquisition/merger goes through, I'd then like to see us add Frontier.

The only markets left are really the international routes (Mexico, Caribbean, Canada). Going head-to-head on domestic over-served routes isn't going to do anyone any good...

*duck* INCOMING!!! ;)
Easy, you guys haven't gotten anything yet. Just stick to undercutting everyone, that is until you can't pay your own bills

Latest resources

Back