Midway

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LearAv8r said:
"This is another reason pilots and others involved in aviation need to join AOPA."

They saved Meigs right? I'll keep my fifty bucks....

Been saving $39.00 for almost three years now.

makes ya wonder why "King" Daily hasn't been shouting for the closure of Midway like he did for Meigs.... at least at Meigs an overrun went into the water instead of the street or a house.

because Daley knows that O'hare would be screwed if they tried to handle all of the traffic that MDW handles. Where else would he get the millions that MDW brings in in taxes each year. Personally though, I think MDW is a bigger threat to the safety of downtown Chicago than Meigs was. If I takeoff on Rwy 4, I'm aimed directly at downtown, I can be there in 60 seconds. If I fly the appch to 31C, circle to 22, I will be impacting the Sears Tower about the time ATC figured out I missed my base turn. Daley's a dick who's about as educated about aviation as many of the reporters that report on aviation.

And tell me something, how is Meigs being gone AOPA's fault?! Daley destroyed it in the middle of the night. No way for AOPA or the FAA to take any action. All AOPA was able to do afterwards was to address the FAA about the legality of Meigs being destroyed. It was illegal, Daley (sorry, the city of Chicago) probably payed the fine and business resumed as normal. The ball was in the FAA's hands. THEY are the only ones who could have made Daley do anything about rebuilding Meigs. They should have taken all of the govt. money that was being used for MDW and ORD and said that Chicago will get the money back when Meigs is reopened.
All we can hope for now, is that AOPA is proactive in their dealings with other threatened airports. As far as I can tell, they are and they have been doing a fine job. Their ASN is a terrific way for people to keep AOPA in the loop with the goings on at their local airport and in turn, AOPA will provide the ASN's will any support that is needed to help fight whatever is threatening the airport. AOPA is worth the $37.00 (I renew automatically, it's a 2 buck discount)...heck, it's worth much more than that. Keep in mind, they are the ones working on the front line fighting user fees and the like.

LearAv8r said:
"This is another reason pilots and others involved in aviation need to join AOPA."

:angryfire Cheap shot man. They tried and were defeated when a crooked politician illegally bulldozed the rwy in the middle of the night. What was AOPA supposed to do? Launch bottle rockets at the construction workers as they walked towards their equipment?

The funny thing about people like you is that you are too ignorant to realize they have saved many, many airports from being shutdown. You just don't hear about it because you are apparently too lazy to stay in the loop.

Last edited:
You don't hear about all the other ones that were saved, so that is a cheap shot.

Call it what you want. Whatever......

What other airports were saved? I'd like to know.

At least for 39.00 you get a nice little sticker you can put on the back of your car to let everyone know your a pilot...or owner or whatever.

I'd still rather give my money to a better cause. Ronald McDonald house for starters.

L-

The funny thing about people like you is that you are too ignorant to realize they have saved many, many airports from being shutdown. You just don't hear about it because you are apparently too lazy to stay in the loop

No, I just don't care about little crappy airports that need to be saved. You can still give your cash to AOPA and think that you are doing something great for the cause but I think that there are better causes out there.

Far from lazy, you don't even know me so I guess that is a cheap shot from you.

Back to your desk buddy.

LearAv8r said:
No, I just don't care about little crappy airports that need to be saved. You can still give your cash to AOPA and think that you are doing something great for the cause but I think that there are better causes out there.

So I'm assuming you didn't learn to fly at a so called "little crappy airport"? How do guys like you become so bitter? I agree, there are lots of great causes out there - I donate to several of them on an annual basis. Fortunately $39 doesn't push me over the edge of bankruptcy, so I can afford to make that contribution for the generation of pilots after me.

Yep, back to my desk... Like that's a slam on me or something. The guys like me at the "desk" in the aerospace industry are why YOU are flying.

Last edited:
LearAv8r said:

Mayor Daley destroyed Meigs after he lied to Phil Boyer of AOPA that he would keep it open. AOPA has generally been an important advocate for ALL pilots. A few years back the FAA wanted to impose draconian medical requirments and AOPA said like hell you will! And the FAA backed down. That alone is worth the cost of membership if you make your living flying.

Latest resources

Back